FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Rassac
Hey guys,
So I am a newbie been growing CP for almost a year... and I have been thinking if I really needs a growlight or not ... is it worth getting one bacause i managed to germinate 8 VFT but they died all ... and i saved one :) also failed when germinating 5 cephalotus seeds ( did not stratify)... Should I get a grow light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By jpappy789
What are you using for a light source otherwise?

A "grow" light doesn't necessarily need to be something very expensive or high-tech. I started out with just compact fluorescent bulb in a clip-on shop fixture. Now I have a lot of relatively inexpensive LEDs. But it depends a lot on the space you are trying to light as well as the plants you are looking to try out again.
By Matt
An indoor growing area is great for getting plants started from seed. It makes it much easier to control the environment and provide stable conditions and protect the baby plants from potential hazards.

It is also a great place to grow plants recently out of tissue culture. However, if you are just growing adult plants and mostly temperate carnivorous plants, most will do better outdoors in full sun.

It is OK to grow them under lights for a few weeks or months but without strong outdoor lighting and good air movement, the chances of some sort of fungal disease are very high with an indoor grow setup.

And, as jpappy789 mentioned, if you decide to get one for starting seeds or taking cuttings or growing plants indoors that are struggling, it doesn't have to be a terribly expensive setup. Our grow racks are just standard 4-foot shop light fixtures with T8 bulbs (color temperature 6500K). It used to be that one fixture was around $10 at general stores and hardware stores. I think they're more like $15-$20 now, but still not too costly.
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!