FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By IHaveNoIdea
Maude Flanders, no offense :mrgreen: There isn't many religious people in Czech republic and certainly not many SO religious, so it is something new for me, sorry :mrgreen:
Nah, I don't think so. At least I will know, what would be the proper way to treat them next year. But thanks anyway
It is really hard to tell if someone is male or female in english. It's much easier in czech, because there are some changes in a sentence, so you immediately know who are you speaking with. :)
By katya_dog1
IHaveNoIdea wrote: It is really hard to tell if someone is male or female in english. It's much easier in czech, because there are some changes in a sentence, so you immediately know who are you speaking with. :)
Wow, so there are actually changes in how different genders speak in Czech? That's weird.
By SFLguy
In many languages there are different endings to verbs and nouns based on whether the subject is female or male, I think this goes for all the languages with hebraic origins (Greek, Latin, etc.)
By IHaveNoIdea
Yeah. I was -male - Já jsem byl
I was - female - Já jsem byla
Just an example, in this case, adding "a" is sufficient. But we change a lot i/y. "My jsme byli" and "My jsme byly." First sentence means "We were." (men) and the second one means "We were." (women or children or both). It's sometimes not easy even for native speakers.

SFL: I think, that slavic languages mostly. But I'm not saying, you are not true, I just don't know.
By Grey
IHaveNoIdea wrote:Maude Flanders, no offense :mrgreen: There isn't many religious people in Czech republic and certainly not many SO religious, so it is something new for me, sorry :mrgreen:
Nah, I don't think so. At least I will know, what would be the proper way to treat them next year. But thanks anyway
It is really hard to tell if someone is male or female in english. It's much easier in czech, because there are some changes in a sentence, so you immediately know who are you speaking with. :)
No offense taken at all, honestly! :D And if you're sure; I'm just a PM away if I can be of any assistance!

Wow. I find the subtle, yet significant, differences in each language fascinating lol. You learn something new every day!
By IHaveNoIdea
Well English seems to be a bit raw in comparison to Czech - it's fusional language. Again, no offense. For example my name: Mirek. (Question/reponse)Who are you? Mirek, Without who are you going? Bez (without) Mirka, Who are you giving it to? Mirkovi..etc... It's really complicated. But, enough of off topic. :mrgreen:
By katya_dog1
Yeah, I take latin. I understand how the differences in the gender make up the sentence itself. For instance, If I wanted to say The towns are strong, since town is neutral, strong would be neutral also. But if I were to say The women are strong, strong would be feminine. It is quite complicated, really. I just did not know that there were languages like that today.
By katya_dog1
Oh, and another thing for my above post. Notice that DionAE MusciplA ends in AE and A, respectively? AE is the plural of A, which is feminine.
*Edit* And sorry, Grey, for hijacking your thread. I just found that language thing interesting. I will stop now. ;)
By Grey
Back to original post...

It'll be November on Saturday and the temperatures during the day have seldom hit below 12°C; the local collared doves are still trying to start families and I saw a red admiral butterfly on Tuesday, I think it was. Boy, my memory has been like a sieve the last few weeks. Quite funny, really. So, photos!

It's been a bit of a moody day today, so I took a photo from my window... playing with the camera zoom.

One of the joys of this time of year is that the Phalaeonopsis orchids are getting themselves ready to start flowering, one of mine is already growing a stalk and the others are pumping out new foliage and roots. One of them died, unfortunately, but it had lost most of its roots so it wasn't going to be an easy recovery... I'm actually going to train the flowers this year instead of letting them squiggle around wherever they please.

Skatty seems to be doing all right; he found a new favourite cosy spot under my grandmother's chair, which is somewhat of a family heirloom, but today decided the kitty box was the better place.
"Heeeeeeeeeeey."

The D. dielsiana flower pods are still in the midst of bursting and giving me seed, I've been collecting it gradually. The plants themselves are looking a little unwell, I don't know if it's the weather or something I'm missing... could be water related, but I'll keep a close eye on them. Lots of other little plants peeping up out of the soil now.

The Drosera capensis... ohhh the poor D. capensis... I was hoping to repot them to stop some fungus issues and also to get some of the larger, healthier plants into a separate pot for a young lad at church. I did a horrible job. A really terrible job. Thankfully the plants are starting to recover, a couple of weeks later, though they have lost a lot of leaves and are generally sulking... while being covered in dirt.
The prolonged warm weather and bright sunshine should help them out.

Mexican Pinguicula time! I'm hoping to get a series of photos of my plants gradually entering their succulent growth to put on my website, so I must, must, must remember to actually take the photos. Here are the P. 'Tina' plants:

And the P. 'Weser':
The Pinguicula to the left of the P. 'Weser' in the first photo is actually a P. 'Tina'.

Let's see... what else is there. Oh, of course! Nineveh. Can't forget Nineveh. He's, well, a hissing cockroach who likes to hiss randomly in the night. He was singing a right merry song to himself last night! On 25th Oct, I moved some things around in his enclosure to make climbing easier. He seems to approve. He's so pretty! Skatty has taken quite a liking to him (please excuse the PJs on the side). Today, he's just hanging out under his artificial tree no. 2 thingie (my brain is starting to switch off, can you tell?)... I bet he's exhausted after all that singing he did in the night.

I know I am!
Grey, Grey, Grey liked this
By ironjaws
I'm not sure why but I really like the first pic in your post; the 'moody shadow pic of a dove'. Skatty looks totally chill.

I've recently repotted my P. sethos and took the opportunity to remove two leaves to hopefully get some strikes. Each of the leaves had a single root attached. Your pinguicula keep looking awesome!
ironjaws liked this
By Grey
Thank you both for your comments. :) MrsMuscipula, I've never actually thought about that. Once the succulent leaf growth starts, I believe it's a bit slower than the carnivorous ones... I haven't done anything extensive in terms of observation, though. Huh.
By tish
Grey, I'm not sure why the sundew decline after flowering, was it already declining pre-flowering? Mine was and now it looked worst. I suspect it was going to die off and set it's last flower stalk up in attempting to duplicate.

This is how mine looks like, this tokaiensis most likely wont survive.
By katya_dog1
Wow. My mom would be horrified at the idea of me keeping a cockroach. I really don't mind them, though. Great photos, as always! Keep it up!
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!