FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Rock4Jesus777
Hi! I'm entirely new to carnivorous plants but ever since I played Super Mario and watched Little Shop of Horrors ;), I've always wanted to have a VFT!

Walking around Walmart a month ago, they had the little Rocket Farms fly traps for $5. So I picked one up!

I've been trying to experiment a little to figure out where it's best to keep my little VFT so it flourishes. I'm amazed at how much doesn't work for it compared to what others are saying! But this little plant just keeps fighting! So far it seems to like my south-facing kitchen window, right above my sink but out of the terrarium.

Anyway, just thought I'd say "Hi!"
IMG_3249.JPG
IMG_3249.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2134 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
Well Hi and welcome. The fly traps do better outside in direct sunlight. I have read at least 1 hour of direct sunlight. you might get that in a window. I don't know. Your fly trap looks healthy and has new growth. don't fertilize it like the Rocket farms site says to do. that will kill it. Best of luck.
By mouthstofeed
that's a fine looking plant. i'm surprised you got it at walmart. i got some vft from wal mart recently and they are very pitiful.
By Rock4Jesus777
I had heard that they liked lots of direct sunlight so I put it outside in its terrarium and it went well for a little while but then it started to smell weird. So I took it out of the terrarium and it did good for a day or so but started looking sad. It drooped and instead of turning black, the old traps would turn almost clear!

I was watering it but being very conscious about how much, but it was looking worse. It stayed outside around three days. I was afraid I was going to lose it so I brought it back in. Temps were mid 80's and himidity was anywhere from 50-75%...I watered it conservatively as not to over water but I wanted it to have enough. I was JUST keeping the soil damp.

Anyway, it's starting to perk back up...the traps are very slow. Flies are able to escape. I'm trying to keep them away for a time.
By Rock4Jesus777
When I put it outside, out of its terrarium, it started looking bad too. Then I came across an article that mentioned "acclimating" the VFT to direct sunlight. I'm going to give that a go. I know when I first got the VFT, it had a couple traps that were a reddish color and I wanted to get that back.

So I'm going to look around on here for tips about acclimating and what that process looks like.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!