FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By LSU Kid
I E-bayed a bale 1kg/80L of New Zealand LFSM from a seller named joshsfrogs It is well documented in numerous posts on this site regarding the look of various brands of lfsm. The bale that I received was brighter looking, cleaner than even the preferred brand from Lowes. I threw all the remainder of the less preferred, dirtier appearing, brand from Lowes on the compost pile. I feel bad for my initial typicals that I re-potted then re-potted, then re-potted again and maybe again as I experimented with various medias, finally settling on this New Zealand lfsm, with a layer of peat moss, sand and perlite in the recommended ratio of 5,3,2 in the bottom of the deeper pots.

Re-hydrated the nice looking lfsm with ro/di water (luckily filter already in place for my aquarium) and filled this larger container with lfsm to check internal temps due to the dark color of the pot. So far so good on the temps, but the worst of summer and sun is still to come. Still thinking about that dark color. Not many color options on these inexpensive large pots. Probably going to insulate it using next larger size container… think I recently read a post advising to use perlite as insulation between the two pots. Sounds reasonable to me.

On to the issue at hand. I'm noticing a few green spots on the lfsm. Wondering if I am resurrecting it. If it grows, I'm not sure what I'll do with it other than drying it and using it on future plants. I thought about topping current pots with a live layer, but I've been advised by a reliable source (thanks Matt) that the live spag moss will grow too fast. Anyways, You all thinking it's alive or will the green eventually fade to the brownish tan color once the sun shines on it?
DSCN0148 copy.JPG
DSCN0148 copy.JPG (109.21 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
By LAKJP
It is too early to tell, as it could be algae too. You should wait about a week, and then you will be able to tell.
LAKJP liked this
By Wikiwakawakawee
That happens to my "Better Gro" moss from lowes when I wet it, and I decided to do a little experiment to see if the little green-ish parts would grow, so I picked out about 15 or so and placed them in a pot, but nothing happened...Just regular spores that were left over started growing. Here's the link to my observation:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/reviv ... 22386.html
Wikiwakawakawee liked this
By Matt
LSU Kid wrote:On to the issue at hand. I'm noticing a few green spots on the lfsm. Wondering if I am resurrecting it.
Sometimes that New Zealand LFS will still be alive if it hasn't dried out completely. We've had some of it start growing for us from time to time. As LAKJP mentioned, it's too early to tell if the greenish coloration is because the moss is still alive or if it's due to algae or the moss is just recently dead and hasn't loss coloration yet. A little time will tell.
Matt liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!