FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Lee
hey i was just checking on my venus fly trap's and i noticed one was just about to open another trap and was all fully formed so i went to school looking forward to coming home to a healthy plant with another trap but when i did return and checked on the little fella my heart dropped all the way to australia as he heavily deteriorated in only 8 hours, i didn't have many recent photos of him besides one i took 2 weeks ago...any idea what happened?
Attachments:
this is him now...
this is him now...
DSC_0211[1].jpg (418.08 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
By Lee
i can ensure you that like my other plants i did wet the soil prior to planting them, my other plants which are under the same conditions are surviving fine but i will increase watering although it has been surviving fine for previous months on the same amount of water, but i will take all advice and hopefully get this little one back and running on all cylinders
By Lee
the reason for the lack of water was because they came from a very hardy venus fly trap and i'd thought the divisions it produced would also be hardy although this one may have been the runt of the litter as it were but i have given it the water this one may need but the others seem to thrive without the high levels of water that my G16 thrives in so therefore i will try to keep them progressing as they were and help this little one
By xr280xr
The leaves also show signs of dehydration. I'm notorious for under-watering my VFTs, probably because I heard so much about beginners over-watering when I started, so I've seen that look. I would give it a good soaking and then wait for it to get almost dry before watering again. How long were the roots when you planted it? Sometimes divisions have short roots, or no roots so you have to keep the soil wetter in order for them to reach the water because the top soil dries out first.
By Lee
the roots were a couple of cm long which i thought was a decent size but i will try repotting him and making sure the soil is very wet and let him settle under artificial lights before introducing him to direct sunlight, whereas the others seem to have adopted their mothers hardiness so i will leave them be
By Log
How are you watering it? that defo looks like a lack of water problem.

I sit mine is a couple of cms of water, it is getting through about a cup a week, remember the plant is now in it's growing period so watering is important.

And sorry if it is obvious but make sure the water is not tap or bottled water but rain or distilled.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!