FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Kapahulu
Im very new to this carnivorous plant keeping. I live in Jacksonville Florida, (Zone 9). And im wondering, when is a good time to purchase VFT and sarracenia??
Right now im looking to order both types of plants..
Any available??
Thanks....
By CPhunter101
Sarracenia are currently going dormant and will not be looking very nice until spring.
VFTs are also going dormant, but they look somewhat better than the sarrs.
My advice would be to buy a sundew like Drosera Capensis since most sundews look nice throughout the year.
If you're looking for a tropical pitcher plant, Nepenthes Ventrata (or Alata) is a good pick.
By Shadowtski
Flytraps and Sarracenia Pitcher Plants mostly go dormant over Winter in their native habitats.
I've had the best luck with purchasing them at the the very end of Winter and planting them immediately.
This helps them to acclimate to their new home while coming out of dormancy.
Matt, the ADMIN of this forum is also owner of https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/
He sells high quality Flytraps, Sundews, Pitcher Plants, and more.
He also sells some tropical or subtropical Sundews which grow all year long, they can be purchased any time.
This is all just my 02¢ worth.
I do not work for, or have any financial intertest in this forum or store.

Good growing,
Mike
MaxVft, Panman, Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
You can order them at any time. Personally, I'd rather order a dormant Sarracenia in fall/winter and have it wake up in the spring. Ones I purchase during the growing season can go either way and either grow immediately or stagnate all season and I see them grow the following year.

Flytraps/Sarracenia are starting to go dormant here in Florida as well. My Sarracenia went from looking great to not so great pretty quick :P Leucophylla, Alabamensis and Alata are still growing though.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Kapahulu
Apollyon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:32 pm You can order them at any time. Personally, I'd rather other a dormant Sarracenia in winter and have it wake up in the spring. Ones I purchase during the growing season can go either way and either grow immediately or stagnate all season and I see them grow the following year.

Flytraps/Sarracenia are starting to go dormant here in Florida as well. My Sarracenia went from looking great to not so great pretty quick :P Leucophylla, Alabamensis and Alata are still growing though.
That was kinda my train of thought. It will start getting a bit colder here in the next couple months. If they are dormant, no big deal. they can go through my winter, and wake up in the spring. Its just learning what works in my area.
By Apollyon
Flytraps actually grow out in the wild (they were introduced at some point) in North Florida. I live in Central Florida in a more or less similar climate and they do great. Dormant flytraps here don't look too bad. Can't really escape it with Sarracenia though. Good news is they take longer to go dormant than other areas
By MikeB
Kapahulu wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:58 pm That was kinda my train of thought. It will start getting a bit colder here in the next couple months. If they are dormant, no big deal. they can go through my winter, and wake up in the spring. Its just learning what works in my area.
I'm looking at outside growing, no greenhouse:

All Sarracenia should grow well at your location, with the possible exception of S. purpurea ssp. purpurea (the northern one). It may not be thrilled with the summer weather so far south.

Venus flytraps should do very well there.

The southern species of sundews (D. brevifolia, capillaris, filiformis 'Florida Red', intermedia, tracyi) and butterworts (P. caerulea, lutea, planifolia, pumila) are good fits for your climate. Some of the subtropical sundews (D. aliciae, binata, capensis) should do well, too.
Kapahulu liked this
By MikeB
Apollyon wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:54 pm Flytraps actually grow out in the wild (they were introduced at some point) in North Florida.
Back in the 1930's, old man Northrop (from Hampstead, North Carolina, just north of Wilmington) played "Johnny Appleseed" with Venus flytraps in the Florida panhandle. They became naturalized in Liberty and Franklin counties, just west of Tallahassee.
Apollyon, Kapahulu liked this
By Apollyon
Interesting info, thanks! I can also verify that those sundews do well here. I have most of them outside. Cape I haven't really tried (Put a couple sprouts out there a couple weeks ago that are still alive but haven't done anything. Partially shaded by other plants) but virtually any filiformis, binata, or capillaris will do well out here. I've grown them year round outside. Drosera Nightmare even went dormant and came back this year (Wasn't actually expecting that).

I don't have a purpurea ssp. purpurea but I do have a S. 'Smurf' which has done alright and has continued to grow. I do keep it in a white hydropot though. I'm sure it'd do better other places but it does ok. They do well here so they'd surely do well there where the climate is more mild overall. Sarracenia minor is native here so that one I'm sure would do particularly well (I really need to get one of those). Pinguicula primuliflora also does awesome partial sun out here too, I grow those outside. I've seen Lutea wild about 30 minutes away
By Kapahulu
MikeB wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:56 am

I'm looking at outside growing, no greenhouse:

All Sarracenia should grow well at your location, with the possible exception of S. purpurea ssp. purpurea (the northern one). It may not be thrilled with the summer weather so far south.

Venus flytraps should do very well there.

The southern species of sundews (D. brevifolia, capillaris, filiformis 'Florida Red', intermedia, tracyi) and butterworts (P. caerulea, lutea, planifolia, pumila) are good fits for your climate. Some of the subtropical sundews (D. aliciae, binata, capensis) should do well, too.
Thanks for the plant list!!! :) Im new at these plants, so that helps me a lot.....
By ChefDean
Kapahulu wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:13 am
MikeB wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:56 amVenus flytraps should do very well there.

Thanks for the plant list!!! :) Im new at these plants, so that helps me a lot.....
Many of those are in the seed bank, in both temperate and tropical forms. Some even from locations in Florida. Get your post count up and you could request them month to month.
You could even look at some of our South American offerings, riparia or sessifolia, that would do well in Florida as well.
Just a thought.
Chef.
Kapahulu liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!