FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By pieguy452
So dormancy is coming up, and pretty soon im going to need to put all of my vfts in my garage, and i really dont want them to die. I have a little over 3 sq feet of venus flytraps. what do you guys reccomend as a good growlight and timer? please provide detail on how to set them up, how high they should be, etc. Thanks!
By SnapSnapIOM
I live in the UK

Last year i only had a small collection which i bought inside from the green house for winter near the end of Oct and they re grew in the spring

Ok i have indoor lights but you don't actually need them for your plants to survive the dormancy period
By pieguy452
I know you do not need them, but its not healthy for the plant to have no light during dormancy.
By pieguy452
and how many should i order to cover 3 square feet? and also, what light fixture should i use to put the lightbulbs in?
By Dorian
Lack of Light is the cause of leggy plants, supplement light either by florescent or L.E.D if you can. It is still early in the year.
By Ae9803
Unfornatuuely, that is false. It is the time of the year. It isnt too early if you live in the northern hemisphere.
By Leathal_Traps
@ Jake, about the LED lights, do you just screw them in to a regular lamp and put your vft under it ( I'm considering artificial growing)?
By Ae9803
Leathal_Traps wrote:@ Jake, about the LED lights, do you just screw them in to a regular lamp and put your vft under it ( I'm considering artificial growing)?
No LED use a different type of ballast. You would need to buy the setup, which I personally dont care for LED's anyways. They are very costly, your better off saving your money and getting tube's from walmart for a fraction of the price. You can buy alot of bulbs for the price of a LED unit.
By Steve_D
Ae9803 wrote:You can buy alot of bulbs for the price of a LED unit.
I like LEDs (at least for the time being) for their targeted spectrum frequencies, more directional light, less heat and more energy efficiency, but it is certainly true that LED arrays cost a whole lot more than fluorescent setups. I use both LED and fluorescent growlights and plan to compare them over a year or two to see what the pros and cons of each are. But for relatively cheap but effective growlights, fluorescents still seem the more practical choice, at least to me.
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!