FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Darkrai283
[08.09.14]
Finally managed to source a subadult pair of this beautiful Hierodula sp.. :mrgreen:

I had a pair of 3rd/4th instar nymphs before but they both died from moulting problems (+ some others). All the ones affected to have some degree of difficulty in initially 'splitting' the skin at the back and even the ones that managed to do so soon became trapped in their thick, rigid exoskeleton. I suspect it was due to me switching their diet to Hermetia illucens larvae and adults as an experiment. The problem probably wouldn't have risen if I had just used the adult flies... but I used the smaller larvae as well which are known to be very high in calcium to feed the smaller instars. I've heard that excessive amounts of calcium in a mantids' diet causes their exoskeleton to grow too thick and I think that's what happened to my previous pair.

Anyway, both the male and the female moulted to adult in transit and even managed to expand their wings properly without damaging them. The only apparent 'injuries' the female seems to have are a bent antenna and small indents in the eyes. (probably was knocked around a bit while she was hardening up.

Female:

ImageUntitled by darkrai283, on Flickr

Male:

Colouration of their chest and the insides of their coxa+femur.

Last edited by Darkrai283 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darkrai283, Darkrai283, Darkrai283 and 3 others liked this
By Grey
You're welcome. Brilliant! I'm hoping you won't have to deal with decapitation... Lol.

I love how these guys are like "Heeeeeeey!" (Insert Happy Days reference here) when you hold them. You're braver than me, mind, after getting bitten hard by one if my phasmids some time ago I daren't hold anything like them... Considering mantids have JAWS, I'm loathed to contemplate it.

At the end of the day, really though, I do still love these insects.
By Grey
It was one of my lovely Extatosoma tiaratum; wasn't an aggressive bite, the poor thing wasn't well and was drinking water off the palm of my hand... latched on... wouldn't let go. As their mandibles kind of mush together to cut leaves it was a wee bit painful. Seriously wonderful species, that experience aside. :lol:
By Darkrai283
[19.09.14]

Just some newer pics.
My male is the most energetic out of my collection right now but the female's pretty lethargic. The external damage to the body from moulting to adult whilst getting shipped is more visible and apparent now. I should be able to mate the female in 2-3 weeks time. :)

Female:
ImageIMG_0045 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0076 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0070 by darkrai283, on Flickr

Male:
ImageIMG_0060 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0062 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0063 by darkrai283, on Flickr
Darkrai283, Darkrai283, Darkrai283 and 1 others liked this
By Grey
Love the new photos. How easily do your mantids take mealworms, Richard? The one thing that kept me from keeping mantids was their requirement for live food, but if I could keep something fairly simple (that our hedgehogs would enjoy in the spring and summer, too) that'd get me interested again.
By Darkrai283
[28.09.14]

The female died.
The top-half of her body just froze up so it seems like moulting in transit did more damage than I thought.

In the past few days, she grew more and more lethargic as she started to 'freeze-up' and her wings just kept on fraying to the sides and kept on getting stuck on her legs so I cut the bottom bit off... I froze her in the end.

Pics:
ImageIMG_0335 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0336 by darkrai283, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0333 by darkrai283, on Flickr
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!