FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tropicalemporium
Hi everyone. I just noticed 2 or 3 thrips crawling around the new growth tips of my nepenthes. I carefully got them off with a toothpick. I got in the car, drove to Home Depot and bought Captain Jack's Deadbug and Bonide Neem Oil. I sprayed all of the plants on the top and bottom of the leaves, growth tips, and top layer of sphagnum with the Deadbug spray being careful not to get any in the pitchers. I was also going to hit them with Neem oil but wanted to wait at least 3 or 4 days because I don't want to burn or discolor the plants. Has anyone tried and or had any luck with these products and gotten rid of their thrips? Thankfully I think I caught the problem early and don't see any sign of damage on the growth tips. Also, how often should I spray the plants in the future in order for the products to be effective but not negatively affect the plants? Thanks very much in advance!
By nimbulan
Captain Jack's is supposed to be the most effective method. You'll probably need to treat multiple times, a week apart, to get rid of them all. I finally managed to get rid of my thrips with 3 weekly treatments of pyrethrin, though it seriously stressed out a bunch of the plants.
nimbulan, nimbulan liked this
By tropicalemporium
Thanks for the feedback! Could I use Captain Jack’s and neem oil in conjunction with one another? I used Captain Jack’s yesterday. I was thinking about waiting 3 days and then spraying my plants with neem oil. Then repeating the cycle so that I spray each product on a weekly basis but a few days apart from one another (if that makes sense hahaha) until the problem is eradicated. Would this be ok to do or will it stress out my plants too much? Thanks!
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!