FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By drstephers
Hello all! I'm new here
I bought some venus fly trap seeds from ebay and tried to germinate them in a terrarium (converted aquarium). It's been awhile now and I don't see anything happening. I used sphagnum peat moss to grow them in, and just lightly placed the seeds on top. I mist it every now and again to make sure it doesn't dry out.
Anyway, I think the seeds they gave me were from last growing season.
Would anyone be a dear and send me some new seeds? I'd gladly pay you some money to cover postage and such.
Thanks!
By kittyklaws
Hi and welcome to FlyTrapCare! :D
Congrats on the seed. How long have you had them? Venus flytrap seeds do take quite a while to germinate, so all you really can do is keep the media moist and just be patient. The humidity really helps too. See this article on the main site for more info: http://www.flytrapcare.com/growing-venu ... seeds.html
Good luck! :)
kittyklaws liked this
By AnthonyB
It may take awhile for them to germinate, i had purchased a terranium with seeds from a store and it took about a month to finally germinate. Sadly, out of all the seeds that came into the package just one had germinated =( I guess something is better than nothing.
By drstephers
It's been about 3 weeks, so I guess I will have to just keep waiting! I am trying to be very patient and keep their conditions optimal. Just as soon as I see sprouts I'm going to post pics of them! Wish me luck everyone!
By DTDream18
I've grown a lot of plants from seeds. It sounds like you've done everything right so far. Just keep the seeds moist
and keep it humid. Like AnthonyB said it sometimes takes a month or so. You said you bought the seeds on Ebay ? Was the ad by any chance for seeds from "Giant Venus Flytraps" ?
By linton
I've been sold "old" seed in the past and it does take a lot longer to germinate than fresh seed. Seed from the previous season can take up to six weeks to germinate, whilst freshly harvested seed can germinate in as little as a week.
Don't give up just yet.
By drstephers
I actually got the seeds from www.seedrack.com. I don't know if they are fresh or not, but I sure hope they are!
I realized this is going to take a lonnnnggg time so I bought an adult Akai Ryu and it just came today! Hopefully I can keep this little guy alive.
By AnthonyB
Congrats on the new addition! I actually did the same exact thing and purchased a mature plant. It is fun to take care of the adult while the other one catches up and matures. Just be patient and im sure it will pay off in the end. Good luck! ill post a pic up soon of my seed germinating soon.
By kittyklaws
Congrats on the Akai Ryu! And good luck! :D
By AnthonyB
This took about a month to actually see any green from the seed. And this picture is about a week after i saw it germinating.
Attachments:
seed.jpg
seed.jpg (240.64 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
By AnthonyB
Now you can actually see two distinct leaves from the little seed, and even better news i just noticed another seed starting to germinate :D
Not what you would expect...

ant hill?

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!