FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rassac
hey guys,
I recently saw a review of s germination inside a plastic box without holes in the bottom.. my real question is how doesn’t that make mold and rots ?
what you opinion ?:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Artchic528
I don't know. My experience with plastic boxes or anything used to keep in the humidity are poor. I always get mold or worse. I have found that using a simple 4 inch tall flower pot from Lowe's without any covering works best for me. It not only allows for the seedlings to not need adjustment to the lower humidity outside an enclosed space, but the pot means I don't have to bother with needing to transplant after they've grown a bit. This gives them time to get big enough so that when I do eventually need to transplant them, they won't be overly delicate nor difficult to handle due to being so minuscule.
By steve booth
so long as it's deep, not covered, and your media is good, it doesn't really cause a problem, so long as you dont put so much water in that it excludes oxygen from the soil and it goes anaerobic.
There isnt that much difference in that and doing what I do, i.e. plant seeds in a 3" square pot and stand the pot in an inch of water all the time.

Cheers
Steve
By SundewWolf
I think since it's just peat moss in most cases it's hard to get mold since there isn't much viable organic material for the mold spores to develop on.

That being said though, I've never found a need for any extra humidity when germinating seedlings. Every year (in mid-winter) I start my yearly VFT and sarracenia seeds in small pots of peat and perlite kept in a water tray. The substrate stays wet enough (and stable enough) for them to germinate in those conditions and then I don't have to worry about acclimating them or keep uncovering anything to check on their growth.
By Artchic528
SundewWolf wrote:I think since it's just peat moss in most cases it's hard to get mold since there isn't much viable organic material for the mold spores to develop on.

That being said though, I've never found a need for any extra humidity when germinating seedlings. Every year (in mid-winter) I start my yearly VFT and sarracenia seeds in small pots of peat and perlite kept in a water tray. The substrate stays wet enough (and stable enough) for them to germinate in those conditions and then I don't have to worry about acclimating them or keep uncovering anything to check on their growth.
I had a blueish grey tinged mold grow on peat once. It happened in my seedling pot when I let it sit in a water tray. I had no covering on it either and the pot was on a window sill. Now I avoid mold growth by watering my seedlings from the top, like most potted plants.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!