FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bowlyB
i brought mix sarra seeds from best carnivorous plants .net this march.

but none sprout even after stratification for 5 weeks. don't respond to GA3[500ppm and 250ppm] for 24hrs.

i might have left it out of the refrigerator for 4-5 days but could this affect viability ?
By bowlyB
bananaman wrote:No.

How long has it been since taking them out of stratification?
1.5 months :shock:
By bananaman
I, personally, mix in the seeds with finely chopped LFS. I can't chop my LFS, so I roll it between my fingers.
I then wet the mixture, and wring it out, to remove excess water. I then put the LFS/Seed mixture in a snack bag, label it, and put it in the refrigerator for 4 weeks. After this time is up, evenly distribute the LFS/Seed mix on top of a pot of moistened CP mix. Put the pots where you have sowed the seeds into 1 gallon plastic bags, to keep the humidity at about 75%. After a few weeks to 4 months, the seeds will begin to split, and the plants will sprout. After the plants have 2 true leaves, slowly lower the humidity over the course of 1 month, until it is at an acceptable level for adult plants. Then, care for them as you would care for adult plants EXCEPT you should skip dormancy for the first 2 years, to get plants that mature faster. After they begin to produce adult pitchers (in 2-3 years), begin to give them dormancy.
bananaman liked this
By Daniel_G
I use the same method of stratification as Bananaman, but for 5 weeks instead of 4. After that, i sprinkle the seed and Sphagnum onto a pot of moist/wet peat, and stick them in my greenhouse.
I noticed germination in 3 weeks.

With that method i managed to germinate year old seeds which spent a winter of -16C on an unheated greenhouse shelf.
Daniel_G liked this

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!