FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Hey guys, I wanted to get your thoughts.

I'm still pretty new to the CP game but I purchased some VFT seeds online and I wanted to see if I'm going about it in the right way.

I have a mixture of 50/50 peat/silica with a small percentage of perlite to help with drainage. I'm sowing these guys in 4inch pots that I intend to keep in a 1020 tray with a humidity dome. The room it sits in is roughly 75-79 degrees with a slight drop at night. I'm keeping the vents closed to get a humidity of as close to 100% as I can get.

In general I'm pretty much incubating these like most seeds, I don't have a heating pad under it (though I can if its necessary).

Are these conditions alright for germinating VFTs? Thank you
By Artchic528
I don't bother with humidity domes. I just grow my seedlings directly under a light.
By schmeg
Mold/algae can be a real issue, as the soil needs to be kept moist enough that the seeds and tiny seedlings don't dry up. These are usually grown indoors, too, where there is less air circulation.

If you're using rainwater, try boiling it (and cooling, of course) to kill off some airborne spores that might be lurking in there. Keep air circulating, too, either by keeping near a cracked-open window or setting up a tiny little fan on low speed.

I have used a humidity dome (squeaky clean deli tray with a clear lid) with peat moss rinsed with boiling water, until the seeds have sprouted and then uncovered after that.
Matt liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!