FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mcgrumpers
After a googling session, it looks like there are several pretreatment options for byblis seeds:
1) soaking in 10% bleach + 90% water
2) soaking in GA3
3) fire/smoke treatment

Most info I found was for byblis liniflora seeds... can I assume that working with byblis guehoi seeds is the same or are there any differences worth knowing about?

Do you experienced byblis growers recommend any of these methods (or a different one) for germinating byblis guehoi seeds?
By Shadowtski
mcgrumpers wrote:After a googling session, it looks like there are several pretreatment options for byblis seeds:
1) soaking in 10% bleach + 90% water
2) soaking in GA3
3) fire/smoke treatment

Most info I found was for byblis liniflora seeds... can I assume that working with byblis guehoi seeds is the same or are there any differences worth knowing about?

Do you experienced byblis growers recommend any of these methods (or a different one) for germinating byblis guehoi seeds?
Bleach treatment is used for liniflora seeds, mostly.
Fire/smoke is often used for gigantea.
GA3 is the recommended treatment.
I am not very experienced with Byblis, other than liniflora.
Anthony Bell is my Byblis "Go To" guy.
He hangs out on Facebook in the Byblis groups.
He has grown, propagated, and gotten seed from all species in the Byblis genus.
By boarderlib
Smoke treatment and GA3 work fine for guehoi.

There's multiple smoke treatments that can be used successfully. I've used cigarettes, and burnt leaf litter. I've also used GA3 treatment. I know of people using the liquid smoke but I've never tried that one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By mcgrumpers
Thank you all. I think I'm going to experiment a bit and try GA3 on half of the seeds and smoke on the other half.

This is the only use I have for GA3... I see that 10g bags are available on amazon/ebay for $10-$15. Would you recommend getting that or is it going to be cheaper at a hardware store (assuming they sell it)? What concentration of GA3 is best for guehoi seeds?

Would paper towels or dry sphagnum also work for the smoke treatment?
By boarderlib
I used the 250 ppm mix for mine at like two days. 10g is enough to pretty much last you a lifetime since you use so little. A key thing with GA3 is water will not dilute it. You need use use a little rubbing alcohol and mix that, then add your water and mix well.

I'm not sure on those materials for burning. I can tell you it's more effective when you can trap the smoke in a bag on the pot. Allowing it to permeate through the top layer of soil and into the seeds.

My guehoi this morning before I pollinated flowers. Hopefully inspiration to get you going. ImageImage

boarderlib liked this
By oval
Complete byblis novice here, but for what it's worth I used the smoke treatment method for the seeds I got from the seedbank.

It still smells smoky when I lift the dome a little. Still waiting for germination though but it hasn't been very long since sowing.
By mcgrumpers
The GA3 I got off ebay recently arrived! Unfortunately, it doesn't have a scoop so I'm not sure how to measure small quantities.

One idea is to make a poor man's scoop with a straw. Apparently those little scoops have a volume of 0.15 cc, which is equal to 3 drops of water. So I can take a straw, cover one end, insert 3 drops of water, and mark a line at the top of the water. Then I just have to fill the straw with GA3 up until the line to obtain 115mg.

Is there a better way?

By the way boarderlib, are those instructions you posted for 99% GA3?
By boarderlib
I got that off a friend of mine. I'll have to get ahold of him but I'm pretty sure GA3 is GA3. I don't recall seeing any different rate other than the 99% offered.

If you're on Facebook you can request to join this group and ask any questions you may have there. No offense to this forum, but the legend is the admin of this particular group and honestly you'll get far better answers from him there since he isn't involved here anymore.

I forgot the group settings were changed to secret so I don't think I can link it, but if you want to PM me a link to your profile I can invite you into it, though I'll probably have to friend request you first to make it easier for me to find you. I'm not really a Facebook fluent person.

I used a gram scale and measured out 1 gram and then divided it roughly into 8 parts which gets you close enough. It doesn't need to be exact to the mg just pretty close.

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!