FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By slark78
Great service, very quick, good packaging, good instructions! Now there isn't any reason to buy from anyone else. Thanks guys!

Cup Trap
Bristletooth
B52
Holland Red
Attachments:
Glad wrapped up and placed into indirect sunlight
Glad wrapped up and placed into indirect sunlight
IMG_0031.JPG (179.84 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
New home
New home
IMG_0026.JPG (251.53 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
30-40ppm with the gel washed into the water, I then emptied the water out and rinsed through again
30-40ppm with the gel washed into the water, I then emptied the water out and rinsed through again
IMG_0025.JPG (106.71 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Washing the gel off
Washing the gel off
IMG_0023.JPG (80.98 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Pure Dew water 1ppm
Pure Dew water 1ppm
IMG_0022.JPG (119.71 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Media 50% peat moss, 35% pumice and 15% silica sand all from the towns volcanic fresh water lake, even the water in the lake measures 40-45ppm
Media 50% peat moss, 35% pumice and 15% silica sand all from the towns volcanic fresh water lake, even the water in the lake measures 40-45ppm
IMG_0020.JPG (251.92 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Containers and packaging
Containers and packaging
IMG_0019.JPG (178.65 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
Arrival 10 days after order
Arrival 10 days after order
IMG_0018.JPG (181.58 KiB) Viewed 6502 times
slark78, slark78 liked this
By Steve_D
Wow, how neat! Flytrap Store babies in New Zealand. Thanks so much for posting this information (that they arrived safe and sound) and photos, slark78-- It's very nice to know that the seemingly slightly elaborate International shipping process actually works! Thank you very much for being the very first order and test "guinea pig" for the FlytrapStore.com International sterile tissue-culture plants. :D

Matt will add some notes I'm sure. Since I receive plenty of Matt's tissue-culture babies myself, I'll just mention that a fungicide spray can be a very helpful and fairly important first treatment since the plants have not built any resistance yet to microbial infection because they were in sterile conditions. Matt sprays the plants with fungicide and leaves them covered for two weeks. I take the cover off after a few days when I'm at home to mist them frequently with distilled water (water that I'm sure is uncontaminated with microbes), to help get them used to the ambient air. But this also exposes them to more fungi and bacteria that may float in the air and land on the leaves. So it's a matter of personal choice and what one thinks is better, I guess. Just be sure not to let any direct sunlight strike the plants while they are covered, to prevent overheating.

Anyway, it's great to see these little Flytrap Store plants now halfway around the world. I'll bet that they'll love New Zealand and your care. And, it's very interesting that you have a natural source of silica sand nearby. That's great! Thanks so much for posting these comments and pictures. :)
Steve_D liked this
By Matt
Awesome! They made it!! Thanks so much for posting all of the photos of the deflasking and potting out process.

Be sure to keep a close eye on them for the first couple of weeks. Monitor their leaves for shriveling or any sort of fungus. As Steve said, they can really benefit from a preventative spraying of fungicide. I use it on all of my plants that I pot out.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and keep us posted on how they do getting settled into life outside of the test tube :)
Matt liked this
By slark78
I'll have a look for a fungus spray after work tomorrow, I'm finding it quite hard to find one thats not copper based.

Also is it normal for the air trapped under the glad wrap to slightly smell of the gel they were packaged in?
By dantt99
Wow! Looks awesome :) Good luck with your new FTS plants :D
Nice buy! :mrgreen:
dantt99 liked this
By HarrisAz
Woah!
its been only around 5dAYs that im out but lots of changes had happen here!

those TC plants look sweet!

im goin to have some soon!
just need to plan for permit and a little more money!temptations,temptations!!!!!!!!
By Steve_D
slark78 wrote:I'm finding it quite hard to find one thats not copper based
You might try to look for a fungicide with the active ingredient chlorothalonil. That is the generic name of the fungicide that Matt and I use (called Daconil here in the United States).

Good luck and happy growing. Those plants look good for having lived some weeks inside sterile containers and having traveled half way around the world in total darkness for a week. :)
By jht-union
Congrats!!!!!, and congrats for the FTS for sending this plants internationally, i'm glad is going well with the international shipping, and Slark78 congratulations on them, and keep us posted on how they do! :)
By slark78
So heres the fungicide I went for 80% Thiram is the active ingredient, I have not used it yet, and won't until its got the thumbs up or down, the other choice was a 95% potassium bicarbonate based product.
Attachments:
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG (129.39 KiB) Viewed 6424 times
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG (147.64 KiB) Viewed 6424 times
By sekler
I have no idea about thiram, but bicarbonate powder is actually the opposite of acidic and I believe could damage your plants...

I would search before using the one you just bought...normally sulphur based fungicides have been determined to be the best for CPs.

Definitely confirm this before risking of possibly losing your new friends.
sekler liked this
By BradR
Sounds like I’m in the minority, but I don’t use fungicides prophylactically when de-flasking. I find that they are not needed. Most fungicides and smelly and poisonous, and I always worry about phytotoxicity when dealing tender young plants. Fungicides probably supress the benificial fungi also. My routine is to thoroughly rinse the plants in tap water, then I soak for 24 hours or more in distilled water, with several water changes. Sometimes I soak them for 2-3 days. This removes all traces of sugar and fully hydrates the plants. I then plant them in soil that has been pasteurized in the oven at 180 degrees F. for 3 hours, in an oven bag (the kind used for roasting turkeys). I then use a soil drench of Mycorrhizal organisms (such as Great White). So instead of adding fungicide, I add fungus! Works for me.

Brad
BradR liked this
By Steve_D
BradR wrote:Sometimes I soak them for 2-3 days. This removes all traces of sugar and fully hydrates the plants.
That's a great idea and it seems to me an important consideration. Removing as much of the gel, nutrients and sugar as possible seems important in order to not leave food for fungi to immediately feast on. Thanks, Brad.

I do worry about rinsing deflasked tissue-cultered plants under running tap water, because our tap water is so high in dissolved solids. I wonder how much of that the plants absorbe before being placed in a bowl of distilled water.

Like you, I try to avoid fungicides and rarely use them for any plants other than the tissue-culture babies, and I worry a little about them because they are, after all, herbicides. I do notice some damage to the young tissue-cultured plants if the concentration of fungicide is too high.
Steve_D liked this

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!