FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Ricorocks
If purchased from fly trap store, is it necessary, gently clean the dirt (from shipping off), Like the article says. Couldn't you simply, removing from shipping, place in new container, then add more soil, from this store?

This store has nice looking containers for $4.95 (three colors shown), hold more than one flytrap. But not available & unknown, when stock again. Anybody have suitable links to flytrap friendly containers, not drinking cups?
By Fieldofscreams
What store? I don't think you are talking about FTS. They come pre-potted, you won't have to do anything except put them outside and keep the soil moist but not wet.
By SundewWolf
If you buy the potted option you don't need to do anything. If you buy bare-root just stick the rhizome in peat/perlite or sphagnum.
If you bought the potted option flytraps and want to plant two or more together in a larger container then no, you don't have to remove any soil, just take the pot off and repot the whole thing plant+soil into a new container. I recommend keeping the soil consistent, so since they are sold in sphagnum, surround it with more sphagnum.

I don't know any specific pots sold online off the top of my head, but anything plastic with drainage holes and 6 inches deep will be fine. Any nursery/greenhouse store in your area should have a large variety of plastic pots available.
SundewWolf liked this
By Ricorocks
Sorry I'm not clear!

@field of screams what is "FTS" and complete URL?
does Flytrap.com = FTS?

From: Flytrapcare. com, I choose FORUM, then signed up, I assumed flytrap.com/store was/is associated with this forum.

Next as the above linked 'pots' are not in stock & they do not know when they will be in stock.

I asked if any similar flytrap friendly pots, can be found & asked for URL.

Note I read clay pots, are not good, paper cups not permanent, desired pot.

From the above links (previous post), 'care' mentioned carefully, removing, dirt from roots, then transferring, to new pot. This I believe has been answered.

Desire: Would like to get a pretty pot & beautiful V. flytrap, re-pot, before, dormancy.

Another question now comes to mind, can you safely re-pot, when dormant?

Sorry Confused Newbie
By Ricorocks
Sorry I'm not clear!

does Flytrap.com = FTS?

From: Flytrapcare. com, I choose FORUM, then signed up, I assumed flytrap.com/store was/is associated with this forum.

Next as the above linked 'pots' are not in stock & they do not know when they will be in stock.

From the above links (previous post), 'care' mentioned carefully, removing, dirt from roots, then transferring, to new pot. This I believe has been answered.

Desire: Would like to get a pretty pot & beautiful V. flytrap, re-pot, before, dormancy.

Sorry Confused Newbie
By Ricorocks
Sorry I'm not clear!

does Flytrap.com = FTS?

Sorry Confused Newbie
By riveraXVX
you are good! if you are getting a new plant from FTS that comes potted in a cup (flytrapstore which you are correct Matt/Leah who run flytrapstore.com/FTS for short do flytrapcare and these forums

you can transplant the entire plant trying to keep the existing moss in tact with the plant into a new larger pot with more medium in it to fill around it and keep it at the surface as you were suggesting. I've done this multiple times with different plants during all times of the year and most of the time as long as careful the plants have no clue they were moved in the first place. freshly shipped from folks like FTS you could easily move it upon first arrival as newly shipped plants (from anywhere) tend to come a little stressed already both from shipping and new conditions. my thought process is "if you are gonna set them back might as well do it then and get it over with so it can work on recovering"

the cups they are shipped in from FTS are perfectly suitable for the time being though - if you did want to just wait till spring it wouldn't be an issue
riveraXVX liked this
By Ricorocks
Hi All learning newbie here, got it!

Anything similar to the $4.95 pots, V.flytrap friendly, url please. Those pots seem to be a problem for FTS, acquiring.

When acquired pot, I'll purchase 'large' DX plant, perhaps two! That vivid red one is quite tempting.
Printed out, 'Grow happy & healthy V. flytrap" care guide.
Thanks for your patience, with yet another newbie

Thanks
Rico
By Fieldofscreams
You can get those pots from Amazon, eBay and everywhere in between.

However, since you are a new grower I would highly recommend that you don't repot them for one year. Buy the plants you want, put them outside where they will get at least 6 hours of direct sunlight and focus on keeping the soil moist but not wet. Do nothing else.

Otherwise you will suffer the same fate that 99% of new growers experience. Death of the plant.
By Ricorocks
Thanks Fieldofscreams,

Got a nice container, Thanks Leah!

bought @FTS

2 DC XL +$5.00
1 large, box of Flytrap dirt

I will follow:

"...put them outside where they will get at least 6 hours of direct sunlight and focus on keeping the soil moist but not wet. Do nothing else..." & awhile before re-potting

Any other tips, your advice welcomed!
By Ricorocks
Got my new DL XL, today, difficult to get all the packaging off, but now there, catching some rays.

The growing medium, seemed quite wet, is that an example of over watering, & avoid in the future. Or that just right? Seems understandable over water for shipping

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!