FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Chesser
I’ve two questions about the fridge dormancy method. I want to try it out this coming winter. First, do the VFTs need to be bare root? Second, do they need any light during dormancy? All the answers I’ve found contradict each other so clarification would be nice. Thanks
By Huntsmanshorn
Chesser wrote:I’ve two questions about the fridge dormancy method. I want to try it out this coming winter. First, do the VFTs need to be bare root? Second, do they need any light during dormancy? All the answers I’ve found contradict each other so clarification would be nice. Thanks
You can bare root if you want but it is entirely optional and at fridge temps, no you do not need light.
By tommyr
Mine stay in their pots. No additional light needed. I'm starting to wake mine up now actually.
Here's how I do fridge dormancy, For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out hit them with sulphur based fungicide again and place in a south and west window until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for going on 11 years with no losses.
By Photo Synthesis
Chesser wrote:Do they need any light during dormancy?
They don't necessarily "need" any light, your flytraps will most certainly survive a darkened dormancy. But if you want your flytraps to thrive, it would be best to give them them a source of light, sunlight or a grow light (that doesnt emit heat), during this time. Because, even though they stop actively growing during this time, they can still photosynthesize energy and store it in their rhizomes. This significantly builds up their energy reserves during the winter, energy that they'll use to burst forth with lots of hungry traps and healthy flower spikes eager to bloom for you.
Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!