FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nshepard
So, I left my plants uncovered last night and there ended up being some late last night freezing rain here. This is my first winter keeping CP and I've pretty much left them to tend for themselves, though I kind of wish I had covered them last night. Most of them are frozen, anyone else ever have similar? I think (hope?) they'll be fine, the trays have frozen a few times before this. Thought I'd share the photos here. I live about an hour and a half drive from Sarracenia range. Personally, I cannot wait for spring!

Frozen Sphagnum moss

Sarracenia rubra, S. flava,S. alata, Drosera rotundifolia, D filiformis, and some live sphagnum.

Sarracenia flava and one S. Sarracenia alabamesis ssp. wherryi.

Sarracenia rubra, Dionaea muscipula, Drosera capillaris, and D. filiformis.

Dionaea muscipula and Drosera filiformis.

Dionaea muscipula and Drosera filiformis.

Sarracenia rubra and Dionaea muscipula.

Sarracenia alata.

Moving on to something warmer, a few of my seedling Dionaea muscipula I sowed this fall. I was expecting a lot less growth in only 4-5 months, kind of surprised by this lot.

From humble beginnings...

Few local (NC) carnivorus plants from the last couple years:

Drosera intermedia (Scotland Co., NC)

Sarracenia purpurea from a burn area in Croatan Nat'l Forest (Carteret Co., NC)

And, a flowering Sarracenia flava from Croatan Nat'l Forest (Carteret Co., NC)
By Matt
Thanks for the great photos Nathan!
Nshepard wrote:Most of them are frozen, anyone else ever have similar? I think (hope?) they'll be fine, the trays have frozen a few times before this.
Yeah, they'll be fine. The flytraps for sure will, as will the sphagnum. Most species of Sarracenia can deal with frosts and light freezes too. I'm sure they'll all be fine.

And that is definitely impressive growth for a 4-5 month old VFT!
By Daniel_G
They'll be in perfect condition.
Very nice plants, I too can't wait to see them in spring.
By Nshepard
Thanks guys! It is like I know they will be alright, then when I seen them frozen I start to worry a bit. Anyway, typical NC weather, freezing rain / ice then 64 and sunny a few days later!
Matt wrote:And that is definitely impressive growth for a 4-5 month old VFT!
I am quite surprised, however it was from a very low germination batch (only 4 germinated out of ~50 seeds). I've had a bad fall as far as sowing seeds; S. minor and D. filiformis didn't do anything.
By lil hokie
Hello from Greensbor, NC!
The weather here has been crazy huh!?
What I do with mine is when it gets down to the low 20s, I put a trash over the pot and take it off the next day. I did that mostly for windy days. My plants have been frozen for the last week but as you know its in the 60s today so they are thawed.

I am kinda worried about tomorrow though, they say its going to get nasty and very windy. I'll probably tuck my plants beside he house.

Your plants should be fine!
By Nshepard
lil hokie wrote:Hello from Greensbor, NC!
The weather here has been crazy huh!?
What I do with mine is when it gets down to the low 20s, I put a trash over the pot and take it off the next day. I did that mostly for windy days. My plants have been frozen for the last week but as you know its in the 60s today so they are thawed.

I am kinda worried about tomorrow though, they say its going to get nasty and very windy. I'll probably tuck my plants beside he house.

Your plants should be fine!
It seems like NC weather is always up and down, though in all it seems like another mild winter. It was a nice day out today though!
By Marine botonist kid
I left my VFT's outside and it got around 9 degrees and they all died. I would of taken them in but I didn't realize it got the cold until the next day I had them covered. Now I gotta restart on them, back down to one flytrap a few S. purpureas and a few D. capensis.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!