FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DeviLe15
Hello,

Long time no see! I've made the decision to try and host a VFT once again. I've provided a picture of little Nigel.

The shop attendant said I should keep it in the container with the lid on to keep it humid and moist, considering where I live the air is pretty dry. She recommended just misting with distilled water as needed (she added that I probably wouldn't even need to water the soil). I'm not sure how long I can keep the VFT in the container as it grows: one of the leaves already touches the lid. Not sure how to cover the plant when it outgrows that little container. She mentioned that if I wanted to have it out of the container I should mist it in the morning and at night/as needed to keep it moist.

The distilled water I have "expired" 2017 July. Is this no longer good for the VFT, or would it be acceptable? It's in a 4 litre plastic container, much like a plastic milk container.

Lastly, when I bought the plant, there was quite a bit of humidity and a fair bit of water collecting on the walls of the container. I noticed that there were a lot of black leaves (pruned it when I got home) and some of the green leaves are beginning to turn black. Perhaps when thick drops of water collect on the insides of the container it's too humid?

I'm hoping Nigel will be my last VFT, and not join Rupert and Jasmine in the ranks of the deceased (yes, I name my VFTs; yes, I know it's strange).

Thank you for your time, and any bits of wisdom you may share!

DeviLe15
Attachments:
Nigel, the container and it's lid.
Nigel, the container and it's lid.
IMG_5278.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 2986 times
By carelerasmus
I agree with hollyhock!! Contrary to popular belief ( or lack of knowledge ) Venus flytraps are NOT tropical plants! Haha they most DEFINITELY will succumb eventually in that container! My advice would be to take it out of that container, keep the soil moist ( not constantly wet ) and give it lots of sun! You should probably acclimate it to sunshine first, so do it slowly! Like only an hour of direct sun a day for a few days, and then increase it untill it gets 6+ hours a day! No need to mist it at all! But if you want to, you can I guess! dont know about that expired water though? Did not even know that water can expire? Anywhoo.... To put it short, no need for high humidity , keep soil moist , acclimate to full sunlight, if it tries to flower...cut it off! Its unnecessary stress for the plant! Its a great looking flytrap and I'm sure you'll keep this one alive!!! Good luck with Nigel!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By DeviLe15
Thank you for your feedback! I will take Nigel out of his dome and pray he survives on my windowsill!

I'm going to need the luck :)
By Nightbreed
Water doesn't expire fda requires expiration dates on consumables even if they don't expire like honey and vinegar. You can just ignore it.
By Huntsmanshorn
DeviLe15 wrote:Thank you for your feedback! I will take Nigel out of his dome and pray he survives on my windowsill!

I'm going to need the luck :)
I hope that windowsill gets at least 6 hours (7 or 8 would be much better...) of direct sunlight or Nigel will surely join his brother and sister. Ignore light levels at your peril.
By jwalker
If you plant doesn't make it don't give up. The one thing I've found out that helped me was puttingt hem in a big pot all mine are in one gallon pots or larger. And definitely get it out side. I don't thinki 've ever been able to keep one alive for vary long in side even in my terrarium.
By tommyr
Do I see a baby sarracenia in there too???
By tommyr
Nightbreed wrote:Water doesn't expire fda requires expiration dates on consumables even if they don't expire like honey and vinegar. You can just ignore it.
Just an FYI, bottled water DOES have an expiration date but it's related to the plastic leaching into the water.

https://www.livescience.com/32636-why-d ... ates-.html
By DeviLe15
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
I hope that windowsill gets at least 6 hours (7 or 8 would be much better...) of direct sunlight or Nigel will surely join his brother and sister. Ignore light levels at your peril.
Provided is a photo taken at 11:00 AM. It's a North facing window. I believe I read somewhere that North facing windows are best. It gets indirect sunlight all day, then maybe 30 mins-1 hour of direct sunlight? I'm guessing this is inadequate.

Edit: The lighting of the photo makes it seem darker than it actually is.
Attachments:
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (2.36 MiB) Viewed 2840 times
Last edited by DeviLe15 on Thu May 31, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DeviLe15
jwalker wrote:If you plant doesn't make it don't give up. The one thing I've found out that helped me was puttingt hem in a big pot all mine are in one gallon pots or larger. And definitely get it out side. I don't thinki 've ever been able to keep one alive for vary long in side even in my terrarium.
I would love to put it outside, but it's occasionally windy, and this tiny pot would surely fly away. I have a balcony, so if it were to be blown off it would definitely fall to its death :(
tommyr wrote:Do I see a baby sarracenia in there too???
Oh, I wish I could get more than just a VFT, but sadly no, I have no more carnivorous plants. I would love to, though :(
By tommyr
DeviLe15 wrote:
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
Provided is a photo taken at 11:00 AM. It's a North facing window. I believe I read somewhere that North facing windows are best. It gets indirect sunlight all day, then maybe 30 mins-1 hour of direct sunlight? I'm guessing this is inadequate.

North windows are THE WORST place for a Flytrap. If you HAVE to grow it indoors (not recommended) a SUNNY south or west window would be best. They are not houseplants so it won't live long indoors.
By DeviLe15
tommyr wrote:
DeviLe15 wrote:
Huntsmanshorn wrote:

North windows are THE WORST place for a Flytrap. If you HAVE to grow it indoors (not recommended) a SUNNY south or west window would be best. They are not houseplants so it won't live long indoors.
I've already moved the plant an hour ago, so that's good. However, the wind will kill my plant, so it unfortunately has to stay indoors.
By tommyr
The wind will not kill your plant. What do you mean?
By Nightbreed
tommyr wrote:The wind will not kill your plant. What do you mean?
He said the wind would knock the pot over, but surely there has to be a way you can secure it. Put it in a larger pot that won't be knocked over for protection. I'm not talking about repotting it but just sitting it inside.
Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

S. flava or a hybrid

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Email them (or call them) and ask if it's pure per[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!