FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Anrich
Ahoy! One of my plants is in dormancy at this moment. It made two off-shoots and developed what seems to be two flower stalks.
This excessive growth had taken it's toll on the plant so much that the traps refuse to close. I know it is common for trap to be sluggish in dormancy, but this will definitely deplete the poor plant's supplies. So, foliage feeding seems to be answer, but only what mixture to use. I do have my own theories but they are still only theories. So any idea's???
Thanks!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
By lemonlily
What does foilage mean?

I think maybe you should cut off the flower stalk but you are the expert, don't ask me.
By Matt
I assume you're talking about using a foliar spray for fertilizing? I've never actually tried that, but I've read about it being done, though what I read wasn't well documented. If you are going to try to fertilize the plant, I'd suggest using a standard fertilizer at 1/2 or 1/3 strength and a cotton swab to apply it. If I were you I'd experiment with a plant that you don't mind killing first. However, it might take a while to see the results, and by that time, it might be too late for the plant that you're worried about.

Whatever you decide, just be sure to give the plant as much sunlight as possible. Odds are that it will recover without any intervention on your part.
By Anrich
Ahoy!! Thanks matt!
It's not like this plant is about to die, but it would be wise to give it a bit of a boost.
There is a couple commercial products that I could try, but it nothing that I can't make myself at a 1/3 of the price.
So, if anyone has any idea's, please let me know!!
By linton
Hi Anrich, I have had some success foliar feeding Dionaea with diluted fish emulsion fertiliser applied at 1/4 of the minimum recommended strength. I applied the fertiliser with a spray bottle once a week for a month but was careful not to spray until the point of run off so that the fertiliser did not get into the soil. The improvement in growth rate and trap size was obvious after a month, but I would not recommend it long term.
By lemonlily
I hope you don't kill your plant. I don't want plants dying. Please don't kill it. If condition is worst after the feeding, please stop. We would all understand what comes next. Soggy and... DEAD!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!