FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
T8's or T12's will be fine. Narrowing it to 1, I'd get a T8 - 6500K would be fine if you plant to grow the seedlings under them. I'm not sure how much seedlings care about color temp though.

If you have heat problems, get T12's as T8's, while their output is greater, tend to run hotter.

If you do get T12's, make sure the ballast you get for them has an *electronic* ballast, not a magnetic ballast. A magnetic ballast runs hot.

All T8's use electronic ballasts.

Home Depot has "Philips Daylight Deluxe" T8 bulbs that are awesome for plants. They also sell T8-compatible ballasts for relatively cheap as well; so does Lowe's Ace Hardware, Wal-Mart, etc. But I really recommend the Philips Daylight Deluxe; they're very good lights, especially compared to similarly-priced bulbs.

One two-tube ballast is all you should need. Add more ballasts as you get more plants to put under them.
By moof
It sure will, by the way I recommend T5 tubes - they get less hot, put out more lumens etc. They're the most advanced neon tubes avaiable now (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But T8 are fine too, the difference can be important only when you put the lighting inside the terrarium (T5 are smaller and get less hot)
By Veronis
moof wrote:It sure will, by the way I recommend T5 tubes - they get less hot, put out more lumens etc. They're the most advanced neon tubes avaiable now (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But T8 are fine too, the difference can be important only when you put the lighting inside the terrarium (T5 are smaller and get less hot)
T5's actually get hotter than T8's. They're smaller and put out more lumens per watt. For germinating seedlings, T5's, T8's, or T12's would do fine. If you plan on growing the seedlings to or near adulthood under the lights, T5's would be best like moof said. If you're germinating seedlings and then moving them, T5's are overkill imo.

T5's are definitely better bulbs than T8's overall, and you see that reflected in the price difference of the bulbs and ballasts.

I've read somewhere that T4's are more efficient than T5's, but I know next to nothing about them.
By moof
I didn't knew about the temperature. I got confused a bit because I used T8 once, but then I realised that the T8 were 36W ones and my T5 are 8W:) that's why they are a bit cooler hehe

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!