FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By dmcelhannon
My smallest sundew has a flower stalk. Should I leave the plant alone or trim the stalk?
By eou812
what kind is it?
By dmcelhannon
... not sure. I saw it online and ordered it.

Here's a picture from last week ...
Fall 2010 - Sundews.JPG
Fall 2010 - Sundews.JPG (54.14 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
By Aging_Bourbon
A Spoon leaf sundew :D
By eou812
its a spoon leaf sundew and you should leave it and collect seeds after the pods turn completely black.
By dmcelhannon
OK... Thanks for help.

:D
By Oblivion
it wont hurt your dew if you let it flower, they are not like VFT in that regard so enjoy the show... and maybe share some pics with us when its all opened out :)
By dmcelhannon
Of the three sundew plants, they have four stalks for sure with one maybe. I’m not sure if the fifth is a stalk or a new cluster of leaves. Maybe with today sunlight, it'll open up enough to tell. When I go outside for lunch, I’ll take some pictures.

:)
By eou812
dmcelhannon oblivion is actually is wrong you can let venus flytraps flower as long as they are healthy and are at least 3-4 years old any younger cut it off or it might die. (P.S. he is usally wrong) :)
By dmcelhannon
Ahhh come on! What am I to think about this now!!! Two of you are saying it's OK and one is saying it'll kill the plant. All of these plants have taken off and put on tons of new growth with flowering stalks since I repotted them. I’ve been real happy with these plants now that I understand the light and water they want to grow. But I really do not want to end up of nothing but seed pots and an empty pot with nothing but peat moss in it!

:!: :?: :!: :?: :!:

Aside from that, I have the pictures that I promised. In the seconds picture you can see that it’s a fifth stalk growing off the edge of the plant.
Sundew with Stalks.jpg
Sundew with Stalks.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Stalk Five.JPG
Stalk Five.JPG (51.84 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
By sundewman
nice plants!
lol, if your plants are healthy and vigorous, there should be no fear at all about letting them flower (granted the previous discussion was with VFTs).
Take these pics for example of D. spatulata:
2 years ago-

under brighter lights

These things flower like gangbusters. Best thing you can do to make them flower all the time is give them as much light as possible and feed them (or let them catch plenty of food on their own). Sounds like you've got that figured out :)!
By dmcelhannon
This place is like the bug capital of Texas so the munchies are out there. The only problem they’ve had is it’s been dry, under 30-percent humidity. So there hasn’t been any dew drops on the leaves or they’ve been real small.
By Oblivion
eou812 wrote:dmcelhannon oblivion is actually is wrong you can let venus flytraps flower as long as they are healthy and are at least 3-4 years old any younger cut it off or it might die. (P.S. he is usally wrong) :)
i see you still havent learnt a thing have you. its not people being mean to you.. its clearly you being a jerk to others.
read the topic.. he's talking about his SUNDEW so quit trying to argue with people, princess..

DMC : let your dew flower, it will not harm it or set back its growth.
ignore the troll
By dmcelhannon
They have gotten bigger and spead whithout my help, so I believe I will leave the sundews alone. If they make seed pots, I'll plant them but aside from that, they're on their on.
By snapperhead51
Ok going to wade in here , because of giving 2 opinions and one is misinformation !! .which happens a lot with inexperienced grows giving inexperienced information !!
Sundews will flower naturally and will not harm your plant at all ,it will not affect the growth of the plant unless the light factor water and food supply is less than it should be , so just let them do there thing and keep the water up to them and make sure they have good light which helps the seed to ripen as it would in the wild , if out side it will catch its own food well enough , if you need any more info please just message me or sake any time hope this clears it up for you
J

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!