FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Volmen
I guess I have 2 questions!

1) does my flytrap look healthy enough for me to alow it to bloom or should I cut the flower stock that just emerged?

2) what is this green plant thing growing near my flytrap? Over the weeks I’ve noticed it slowly spreading.

Here’s some pics of my plant! Some info it’s being grown under a 6500k cfl with 1600 lumens

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Volmen
Oh also I do put it outside daily, when circumstances permit!

By KategoricalKarnivore
Where do you live? You can probably keep it outside all the time. They prefer to be outside. You shouldn't move the plant in and out. That will just stress it and slow down its growth. They can take 100+ and below freezing temps. On the flower stalk, it looks healthy enough but we are coming into the time of year when they go dormant so not exactly the best time to let it flower. If it was me I'd cut it.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Oh yeah and that plant growing is star/sheet moss. I'd get it out of there before it takes over the pot. It's not sphag.
By Volmen
Ya I’m looking for a pot so I can hang it outside, my kids would destroy this poor girl if I left it outside within reach, the place I have ready would give it full sun and be protected from extreme weather and the crazy hot midday sun here!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
By KategoricalKarnivore
Yeah that might work out ok. Just depends on how much light they get. The more the better.
By Fieldofscreams
How long have you been growing it under that CFL? How close to the light is the plant? Where do you live?
By Volmen
I live in oakridge, OR as for outside it would get about 8hrs of direct sun! As for the cfl light it’s been growing under that light for a little over a month I got it 08/27/17, it’s about 4 inches away from the light! That light stays on for about 16hrs a day.

Below is a picture of what it looked like when I got it from Walmart! 08/27/17

Below is a pic of it I took few mins ago for easy side-by-side reference. 10/12/17

By Fly Trap Hunter
Volmen wrote:
Below is a pic of it I took few mins ago for easy side-by-side reference. 10/12/17

nice job bringing it back to healthy looking!
By Fieldofscreams
Goes to show that artificial light works great and the plant will flourish under it. Just have to have the correct lumens and K.

Sun is obviously still far better but it's not the be all end all.
By Volmen
Ya it’s not the best compared to the sun! But I do grow a lot of plants under artificial lighting!

Use these graphs with a grain of salt they are not 100% right and are more for a reference then fact! One example the cfl and the photosynthesis pics for some reason doesn’t include the intensity lvls on the graphs like the led’s and sun’s do! And the spacing between the wavelengths are different as well! :-/

6500k cfl spectrum

My led grow lights spectrum

The suns spectrum

This last pic is the wavelengths that plants actually use for photosynthesis! Plants use a very specific range of spectrums which also explain why most plants usually green.
So for people who truly love to growing indoors our goal is to match the wavelengths that our artificial Light Produces to match that of the photosynthesis absorption rate rather than the sun! Because the sun also produces a lot that isn’t needed as well.

But as you can see the sun is still champ!!!!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!