FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
My d. Alba is flowering! I want to donate some to the seed bank (since my wide leaf stalk got eaten) and grow the rest, but considering I can't seem to grow anything from seed lol, I may not. I may grow some in mm, and some in soil. Is sphagnum moss better or is peat and perlite?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Cross
Last edited by Cross on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By KategoricalKarnivore
The reason for the correction is because mislabeled plants are a big problem in the CP word. If you sold seeds from your D. capensis to someone as “D. alba” they would be really upset to see D. capensis growing. It’s not passive aggressive. He’s just trying to let you know you have your plants labeled wrong. I correct people all the time as to what they are really growing. I want all my plants to be labeled correctly and so does everyone else.
By Cross
Last edited by Cross on Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By thefic
I don’t think tone could or should be inferred from a text based conversation. Plenty of people post corrections in a well meaning tone. But tone can be misinterpreted solely based on ones mood or predetermined mindset when reading. I would keep this in mind.

Argument aside.

I would use peat. Easier to seed the seedlings and track growth. At least IMO.

I use those cheap black plastic lunch containers. Poke a few holes in the bottom to allow water to soak in. Pack the peat in. Then set it in a tray of water for a day before sowing.

I set the lights just a few inches above the seedling trays and then move them up as the seedlings get larger.

This method seems to work well for me.

Just got a mix of D. capensis (various forms), D. aliciae, D. burmannii, and D. natelensis to sprout using this method.
By Cross
thefic wrote:I don’t think tone could or should be inferred from a text based conversation. Plenty of people post corrections in a well meaning tone. But tone can be misinterpreted solely based on ones mood or predetermined mindset when reading. I would keep this in mind.

Argument aside.

I would use peat. Easier to seed the seedlings and track growth. At least IMO.

I use those cheap black plastic lunch containers. Poke a few holes in the bottom to allow water to soak in. Pack the peat in. Then set it in a tray of water for a day before sowing.

I set the lights just a few inches above the seedling trays and then move them up as the seedlings get larger.

This method seems to work well for me.

Just got a mix of D. capensis (various forms), D. aliciae, D. burmannii, and D. natelensis to sprout using this method.
You're right, I'm always more sensitive at 6am lol. It really is inhuman to be required to get up that early. I'll keep this in mind in the future.

So, do you mix yours with perlite? Or do you use straight peat and transfer to something mixed later on?

By thefic
I actually never use perlite TBH. I even try to avoid it in my non carnivore pots.

Finding good quality perlite without added fertilizer (some packages don’t mention additives but you can see the tiny little fertilizer balls mixed in.) or unknow quality is kind of tough for me in Tennessee. A ton of places sell it. Just filled with additives.

Also I tend to flood water into my plant pots at least once during the summer months. And perlite tends to rise to the top. And annoy me.

I use small rocks. (Rinsed well). Mixed into the soil here and a there as well as a plastic chopstick to help aerate the potting media. Then I top off the peat and rocks with more peat. I use the plastic chopstick once or so during a season for extra aeration. Plus top watering once a month helps too.

I usually wait until the seedlings are about 2 inches or so tall before transplanting/selling/giving away.

This lets me weed out any weaker plants.
By Cross
thefic wrote:I actually never use perlite TBH. I even try to avoid it in my non carnivore pots.

Finding good quality perlite without added fertilizer (some packages don’t mention additives but you can see the tiny little fertilizer balls mixed in.) or unknow quality is kind of tough for me in Tennessee. A ton of places sell it. Just filled with additives.

Also I tend to flood water into my plant pots at least once during the summer months. And perlite tends to rise to the top. And annoy me.

I use small rocks. (Rinsed well). Mixed into the soil here and a there as well as a plastic chopstick to help aerate the potting media. Then I top off the peat and rocks with more peat. I use the plastic chopstick once or so during a season for extra aeration. Plus top watering once a month helps too.

I usually wait until the seedlings are about 2 inches or so tall before transplanting/selling/giving away.

This lets me weed out any weaker plants.
I got my vfts from California carnivores and I thought it was packed too tight, but I'm glad to know that perlite isn't needed. It gets on my nerves so bad. I have to unpot all my plants I just potted because all of the perlite just rose to the surface and it's blocking all the new growth. It's so obnoxious. One more question if you don't mind. All of the droseras I got from cc have that white fungus cottage cheese crap. I tried different things and they'd not clearing up. I've decided to completely repot with fresh soil. Any to make sure it doesn't transfer to the new soil?

By thefic
Whenever I get a new plant from anywhere I uproot it. Wash the roots as best as I can. For CPs I usually soak the roots for a minute or two in distilled water. Then I toss the old potting mix away regardless of what it is or where it’s from. I mist the plant to try and get off anything left. And then I repot into its next home. This has worked well for me.

It’s not a 100% solution as I have had issues with fungus, mealy bugs, and random die offs of unknown origin. But it helps to minimize the incidents.
By Copper2
That capensis albino, isn’t by chance still flowering is it? If so could I get some pollen- I’d split the seeds
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:That capensis albino, isn’t by chance still flowering is it? If so could I get some pollen- I’d split the seeds
How would I do that? I've never had a flowering drosera, so I'm still not sure Ernst I'm doing. It's not actually flowing yet, sorry to not explain appropriately. The flower stalk is starting to unfurl. I'll send a pic tomorrow.

By Copper2
Cross wrote:
Copper2 wrote:That capensis albino, isn’t by chance still flowering is it? If so could I get some pollen- I’d split the seeds
How would I do that? I've never had a flowering drosera, so I'm still not sure Ernst I'm doing. It's not actually flowing yet, sorry to not explain appropriately. The flower stalk is starting to unfurl. I'll send a pic tomorrow.

Just wanted to add: I haven’t done this either! I tried making tomato hybrids a few years ago, but the weird cone they have makes it impossible on the cherry varieties (I was trying to cross Matt’s wild cherry with black cherry!). Right now I’m trying to self one of my Sarracenias using a twisted up piece of towel. I’ve been pollinating it every day. It better produce seeds!
By Cross
Copper2 wrote:
Cross wrote:

Just wanted to add: I haven’t done this either! I tried making tomato hybrids a few years ago, but the weird cone they have makes it impossible on the cherry varieties (I was trying to cross Matt’s wild cherry with black cherry!). Right now I’m trying to self one of my Sarracenias using a twisted up piece of towel. I’ve been pollinating it every day. It better produce seeds!
My sarr is flowering and taking forever. I'm not excited for 'the pollinating'. I need to come up with an edgier name. ImageImage

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!