FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Myarocks
Hi all I just checked my VFT (the regular type not a fancy species) and i discovered a flower stock? The plant is dormant the traps wont move at all and I put it to bed on NOV 15th. I make sure it doesnt go above 13F in the room its in. Anyway i do have it in a south facing chilli window in my cold room. I read one other thread about a person having the same thing happen and the responce was that it isnt normal, but I would like others opinions maybe this could be actually normal after all? Could the plant be coming out of dormancy? Thanks Mya:)
Attachments:
The stock, is this normal?
The stock, is this normal?
008.JPG (187.75 KiB) Viewed 2463 times
By Darkrai283
Wow. So it produced a flower stalk when the temps were under 13F (-10C)?!?! Hmmm, maybe the temps were gradually warming up and your vft noticed the change and sent up one thinking its spring? Didn't the soil freeze at all? And your windowsill goes down to -10C? That's amazing. :shock:

Btw, it's flower stalk and not flower stock! :P
By Matt
Flytraps usually start emerging from dormancy sometime in mid February for me, with notable accelerated growth. Flowering occurs a month or so after that. Not sure why it would flower this time of year with natural light and freezing temperatures (did you mean 13°C?) unless you've only had the plant for a few months and it's confused.

Anyway, just cut the stalk off. Also, the plant isn't getting enough light where it is as evidenced by the thin leaves and small traps of the newest growth. If you can move it somewhere that gets better light, it would be better for the plant.
Matt liked this
By Myarocks
No, normal dormancy temprature not greater than 10C sorry Oops my bad, but yes Ive had the plant since August and forced dormancy by putting it in my cold room on the window sill in mid November, should I just move it to a warmer room then and treat it as if its spring and its waking up? Is two months of cold good enouph for it? I might try cutting the stalk as you suggest Matt and leaving it alone I guess, Thanks very much guys- cheers:)
By xr280xr
I just cut a flower stalk off of one of mine. I think I bought it from Home Depot in November and it was growing as if it were spring-early summer instead of starting to go dormant. If yours is new, maybe it's just behind.

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!