FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By LAKJP
So after some research on the forum and thinking, I have finally decided to let my VFT's flower! So please do not suggest me to cut the flower stalks off, but give me suggestions about pollination, etc. instead! Thanks! I am quite lucky this year as four of my plants are putting up flower stalks and I can cross-pollinate them! (So excited just thinking about it! YAY!! :D ) I will keep this thread updated (with pictures of course!) regularly so that people can see the whole procedure from flower stalk to seed pods. Wish me good luck!
VFT Watermelon
VFT Watermelon
image.jpg (78.73 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
VFT Low Giant
VFT Low Giant
image.jpg (106.07 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
VFT B52
VFT B52
image.jpg (99.35 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
VFT Giant Red
VFT Giant Red
image.jpg (95.76 KiB) Viewed 4412 times
By PlantMan
Congrats on the flowers! VFT flower anatomy is no different than any other average flower; You have the stamens(Make pollen) outside of the pistil, that of which is on the center. (Pistil is the girl part)
I forget when either is ready for pollination first, but there's a small window where the flower can be self-pollinated. While there's usually no problem with this, I recommend you cross some of the plants a few times. When the pollen appears to be ready, it'll look like white dust. Take a toothpick or tiny paintbrush and swab a bunch of pollen on the stalk in the center. By now you're done! Good luck!
PlantMan liked this
By jwbates26
Check out this page first and then go to YouTube and do a quick search and you'll find great videos on how to do it.

Basically, watch the stigma in the center of the flower. It will take a couple of days before its ready to be pollinated after opening. You will know when the stigma is receptive when it looks like a pom pom...

This is what I've done in the past. Once I'm sure the stigma is ready I took some tweezers and removed an anther that produces the pollen. I took one entire anther off and rubbed the pollen on the stigma. I did this a few times throughout the week. Once the flower has been pollinated it will close and begin to swell. After three or four weeks the ovary will be fully swollen and probably will have dried up and turned brown. This is normal. The ovary will dry up and split open revealing the seeds inside. Now you are ready to cut the stalk and and place it on a paper towel to let it finish drying out. After its sat out for a night you can attempt to remove the seeds. CAUTION: be careful when removing the seeds. It can be easily done by rubbing your thumb over the top of the seeds. The caution part is that the seeds shot everywhere if your not careful. I'm not sure if thats a design to spread the seeds or just an issue but they do seem to spring off and it'll be hard to find them if they fall on the floor.

It is best to cross pollinate but self pollination can be done. You'll probably end up with a higher yield of seeds if you cross pollinate but it is not necessary.

Good luck with pollinating your first traps. Its is fun to know you chose these two parents, pollinated them and successfully got seeds. Then germinated the seeds and grew them to maturity. Remember you have to have patients they grow slowly. You don't need to stratify. I had almost a 100% germination taking them straight from the seed pod to the soil.

Keep us posted on your journey.
jwbates26 liked this
By jwbates26
Its really pretty simple. Especially if you watch the YouTube videos first to see someone else do it. If you're anything like me, I'm a visual learner. I need to see things done before I feel comfortable doing things. I'm sure you'll be successful.
By LAKJP
A little update on how my flowering VFT's are doing.
Attachments:
VFT Red Giant
VFT Red Giant
image.jpg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
VFT B52
VFT B52
image.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
VFT Low Giant
VFT Low Giant
image.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
VFT Watermelon
VFT Watermelon
image.jpg (67.18 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
By LAKJP
Good news! Today, this flower from a B52 VFT bloomed for me! :) I just took this picture quickly to be able to share it with you all :D
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
By beckhamlim24
Nice flower! The yellow part is the anther and it contain pollen grains. The centre is the stigma, it is sticky and pollen grains will stick on it. Since you are gonna cross pollination, i think you should take some pollen first or the flower may close first :o
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!