FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By chriscanivorous
Hi everyone,

I read that you can use flower stalk cuttings to grow new plants!
My new vft clone k1 seems to be happy in its new environment and a flower stalk is growing out only 1 week after re-potting. If i can wait until the flower stalk grows to 2-3" long can i cut it and plant it in some peat to grow a new clone k1???

If so how do I do this? What is the best way? Do i need special hormone treatment?

Thanks in advance :)
By Daniel_G
You can get planlet's from flower stalks, just like you can from leaf cuttings

Basically, cut the stalk at around 2" or 3" and plant the bottom of it in some soil (i prefer LFS) And keep it in wetter and more humid conditions than normal, and no, you don't need hormone treatment, but you can if you want :)

Good luck getting plantlets :D
Daniel_G liked this
By dantt99
To strike a flower stalk is similar to a leaf cutting.
FlyTrapCare.com wrote:If you choose to not allow your Venus Fly Trap to flower and cut off the flower stalk, be sure not to waste it! It is possible to use the flower stalks like you would leaf pullings. Once you snip off the flower stalk as close as you can to the base where it is growing out of the center of the plant, if you stick the base of the flower stalk in the ground, it will likely start growing plantlets where it is in contact with the soil. I have had great success just sticking the flower stalk into peat moss in an upright position, just like it was growing out of the plant. I have only had moderate success when laying the flower stalk on its side. I also attempted to cut a longer stalk (3 or 4 inches) into 1 inch pieces and stick each of those into the ground. The best success I've had is by simply cutting the stalk when it is between 1 inch and 3 inches high and sticking it straight into the ground.
Good luck with the stalk, and if you're interested in reading the full article, click http://www.flytrapcare.com/propagation- ... traps.html :D
dantt99, dantt99 liked this
By victor
Yeah you've basically got it covered by daniel and daniel
By AnjAvraam
Can spent flower stalks be used in the same way? The ones that have flowered and are dying from the top down? Or are they wasted at this point?

I have a quirky chappie and it would be good to propagate it. It likes growing itself a whole weapons rack of traps to deal with any eventuality - little ones, big ones, short ones, long ones, blank leaves with little hooks, no hooks or big hooks; it even has a mutation I've never seen: a double trap arranged in series not parallel!

One more thing, can a leaf pulling be taken from a trap that looks like its on its way out?

So that's:
- can you propagate stems after flowering?
- anyone heard of a series double trap?
and
- can ropy traps still make decent pullings?

If anyone can help I would be very grateful!

PS pictures coming soon.
By Matt
AnjAvraam wrote:Can spent flower stalks be used in the same way? The ones that have flowered and are dying from the top down? Or are they wasted at this point?
Unfortunately no. I've not had any success with spent flower stalks. The younger the flower stalk, the higher the probability that it will create new plantlets. Once a flower stalk gets to the point that the flowers are opening, the success rate of using it for propagation decreases dramatically.
AnjAvraam wrote:One more thing, can a leaf pulling be taken from a trap that looks like its on its way out?
Yes, if you pull the entire leaf off and get part of the white base that connects to the rhizome, you should have good success getting those pullings to strike.
AnjAvraam wrote: anyone heard of a series double trap?
No, I've never heard of a flytrap that does that.
Matt liked this
By AnjAvraam

Here's a pic I took. Didn't know how else to describe it as it's definitely not common. The traps are in a row (series) instead of branching out (parallel) like "regular" double traps.

Please let me know what you think!
By Jds
It's deformity.
You just asked the question at right time,I have got too many deformed traps and still there are lots of them coming out from the centre (I don't know why).
Check this post,I have uploaded images of my deformed traps in this post(Watch all three pages,as some others have also posted images of their traps):-
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/three ... 27300.html
Jds liked this
By FlyTrapOfDoom
Lol i cut my flower stem off and it landed right in the trap!! What do i do?
Attachments:
15389861536571076177905.jpg
15389861536571076177905.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 8449 times
By jackjeckel
FlyTrapOfDoom wrote:Lol i cut my flower stem off and it landed right in the trap!! What do i do?

That being said stick it in some peet and perlite or some LFSM and hope for the best

By Sleepy
I just cut mine off once they are longer then 3 inches and stuck them in the soil around the other plants and now as the rest are starting to go dormant Im noticing little baby flytraps growing around the stems hope they survive the winter
By hazelreed
I planted my flower stalks on 3rd Aug 2018 so 7 months ago. They are both still green, but no plantlets to be seen yet. Any ideas on how long it should take???
By Big-Jack
AnjAvraam wrote:Image

Here's a pic I took. Didn't know how else to describe it as it's definitely not common. The traps are in a row (series) instead of branching out (parallel) like "regular" double traps.

Please let me know what you think!
That's awesome. Would love to have a cultivar with a fixed trait like that.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!