FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Windego
I was wondering if anyone has any links or instructions for creating one
I made one and it’s working well but I want clear instructions for future reference
By boarderlib
Ate you looking for information for a planted terrarium or potted? The types of plants you'll be growing in it will make a big difference on the type of setup too. Most beginner plants don't need a terrarium environment. They'll do fine with some adjusting to ambient household conditions, some will be better off outside.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Windego
Hello,
I was looking for a planted terrarium. I’m trying to get the supplies together to make a nice big one. But I’d like some step by step instructions
By boarderlib
Dionaea, sarracenia, nepenthes, and temperate drosera don't make good terrarium selections. The first two need a dormancy period, which makes them hard to maintain in a terrarium. Most nepenthes will outgrow a terrarium rather quickly given they are happy.

Here's a bunch of how to's. Read, read, read, and then figure out what works best for you. Airflow will be your friend.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Windego
What about something like this?
I saw that another member made this? is there instructions on how to make one of these?
Attachments:
AC87FD53-9900-4BB5-B8C6-3EF63A2AF82A.jpeg
AC87FD53-9900-4BB5-B8C6-3EF63A2AF82A.jpeg (135.28 KiB) Viewed 6202 times
By xr280xr
There probably are. Try searching the forum if you haven't. You want a good amount of soil depth and a well draining soil. I would think you'd want some kind of drainage outlet at the bottom of the tank. The photo above looks awesome, but doesn't make a lot of sense. VFTs can't live long term with nepenthese and have very different requirements from heliamphora too. They would have to be dug up each winter for dormancy which wouldn't be ideal. They also don't do well with too wet of conditions or stagnant humidity. People often equip their terrariums with a fan to keep the air moving to deal with that.
Last edited by xr280xr on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By KategoricalKarnivore
PM me your email address and I’ll send you some instructions I wrote up about a year ago for my planted CP terrarium.
By riveraXVX
some folks that do terrariums inthis style while make a water resevoir at the lower level (either by eggcrate making a small lift/false button or not) then you can have a pvc pipe or a hose snaked into the lowest area where water is to pump out and "drain" things to continually keep fresher water from the top and draining through to bottom, think risers with eggcrate and a weed barrier cloth of some sort over that to hold medium out of the water resevoir

then start your normal layers of medium from there

that is all I can really add as we've not done one. we have two 20G tanks now and will likely be growing live sphagnum in them when more money allows for more lights
By fluffy123
Can you please take them out of that place, they need to be in the great outdoors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
fluffy123 wrote:Can you please take them out of that place, they need to be in the great outdoors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
they don't need to be, generally they will do better but its not a NEED so long as you can manage their needs. plenty of people successfully grow in tanks both planted and not for years at a time. just gotta make sure to keep the different types happy and get the right mix/conditions put together.
By Wikiwakawakawee
I would suggest going over to https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/.
They have a ton of info on building vivariums and stuff, although it might not be exactly what youre looking for and may require different plants than carnivorous ones.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!