FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Mike_907
Hey guys. Just need a little advice/help. Got my first small batch(50) of seeds today. I grow all my plants outdoors as i live in SE GA. I would like to grow these outside too but most of the advice i see about it talks about starting them inside. The problem with inside is that i keep my house pretty cool in the summer time(74) being as it is so hot and humid outside. And i have no good window that light just beams through. So my question is, what is the best way for me to get them growing outside? I am using a peat moss/perlite soil mix with a tray underneath partially filled with distilled water or rain water when available to keep moist as needed. Any advice from either knowledge or experience is appreciated!
By Mike_907
Thanks man. Thats what i will do, make sure it stays very moist. Any recommendations on direct or indirect sun when outside with no cover on. It get about 85-95 where i am with very high humidity
By akinkysnorlax
I thought I would ask everyone in general but would having clear plastic wrap over the pot with the seeds actually overheat the seeds (if that is even possible) given it would be in hot weather conditions? I would recommend using a bright colored pot and use clear plastic wrap to increase the humidity and protect the seeds.
By mnwatson1
As warm as my pots can get indoors in the window with the plastic wrap with the ac on, I would think it would bake them outside in direct light, especially at those temps!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
By Mike_907
Yeah, i wasnt gonna use the saran wrap outside, or any cover for that matter. U were actually the one that advised me on that mnwatson. But i dont really get any sunlight in my windows so i need to grow them outside. I was just gonna do it uncovered. The humidity in SE Georgia is retarded so i think they will be fine on that front
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!