FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
About three days ago, I received a Nepenthes Spectabilis x Spathulata as a prize for a giveaway on one of these forums. It was sent to me bare-rooted, with only a little bit of soil around it, so I potted it up in a mixture of around 60% LFS and 40% Perlite. I then placed it in a plastic bag and put it on a windowsill that gets around four hours of mild direct sun in the afternoon. The bag was to keep make the transition for the plant smoother because the person who gave it to me said that it would adapt well to lower humidity, as long as it was given an acclimation period. She advised to put it in a bag, and then slowly open it up until taking it off completely over the course of a couple of weeks. I have now had it there up until now, and so far things seem to be going good. None of the pitchers have begun to shrivel and the developing ones are continuing to grow a little. However, I have done some research and have found out that both species that make up the hybrid that I have are highlanders, which means they need a good nighttime temperature drop in order to grow well. I've taken frequent measurements of the temperature and figured out that it stays mostly in the 70s throughout the morning and goes up the mid 80s in the late afternoon (21-26 C) and only gets down to the low 70s in the night (21 C). Although for some reason on first night of it's arrival It got done to the mid 60s (15 C), it hasn't changed much from there. I've tried putting an ice pack in it's bag, but it only helped a little. Eventually I might add a bunch of ice cubes in the bottom to get the night temperature drop. Any suggestions? All would be appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_0934.JPG
IMG_0934.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1155 times
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1155 times
By Fieldofscreams
I want one so bad but I have no way to successfully grow them.

If they cant sit right next to my flytraps outside then I cant grow it.
By hollyhock
This really will be an easy window sill grower. I am not sure about outside. I put one of my Nepenthes outside and the leaves got burned even in indirect lighting.
As far as cooler nights this one didn't seem that fussy. It looks great
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!