FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By prpl_trtl
Veeery small ones, I put them in the soil, but the roots were so small, I don't know will they continue to grow normal... Any tips?
Attachments:
DSC02550.JPG
DSC02550.JPG (386.04 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
Last edited by prpl_trtl on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Daniel_G
aaaaaaw they're sooo cute :D it might be a idea to cut a bottle in half and put it over the top to keep humidity high and give em lots of light :D
By dimitar
prpl_trtl wrote:I read somwhere on forums that after repotting it is in not recommended too keep high humidity...
Just the opposite! High humidity helps rapid conditioning plants and to easily overcome the stress after repoting. So I would recommend you high humidity, but a reasonable levels 70 - 80%. After air-conditioning plant humidity can be reduced, but I always prefer and grow my plants in high humidity.

By Steve_D
About 6 weeks ago Matt sent me some baby Cephalotus fresh from his tissue culture program. They were healthy masses of Cephalotus tissue but they had no roots. I separated the plant masses into pieces and potted them several to each 2.5 inch (about 6 centimeter) pot.

Because Cephalotus is sometimes prone to rot I didn't want to keep the plants or their medium too wet, despite the fact that they had not yet produced roots. So I misted them frequently with a handheld spray bottle containing rain water for about 2 weeks, and fully watering the medium only occasionally, from the bottom. I placed a plastic covering over them only at night to help conserve humidity for those 2 weeks, but then removed the covering and just misted them several times per day for the next several weeks. Here is a photo of several of them today, 6 weeks later.
Baby Cephalotus plants from tissue culture
Baby Cephalotus plants from tissue culture
TC-baby-cephalotus.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
By BradR
Steve:
your baby Cephalotus look great. Two years ago I germinated some Cephalotus seeds in vitro. I have been dividing and replating them since then. I just took my first batch out of the flask in Sept. and I was worried that the would be difficult it acclimate, but they were actually easier than Dionaea. After 2 weeks in the greenhouse I started putting them out in the sun for a few hours occasionally. The are slow growers but a lot of fun.

Here is what mine look like:

Brad
By Oblivion
heres my first ceph.

john was kind enough to give me one about 2 mth ago. it had 3 leaves, 2 tiny pitchers and a 3rd just starting to grow.

its since grown out and finally opened. the size is huge compared to the older 2 pitchers which have now died off.

however i dont see any new growth anywhere. no new shoots or leaves at all. im sure in time i'll see new growth as it oly just opened the pitcher today.
Attachments:
cephalotus.JPG
cephalotus.JPG (121.16 KiB) Viewed 6007 times
By snapperhead51
Hi Glenn
It will start to grow soon the weather is holding it back a bit being cooler than usual,, get it a bit warmer and it will take off :mrgreen:
By prpl_trtl
They all look great,but mine now are smaller then any of these. :)
This is the starting of winter period in my location,so I will leave them on windowsill till spring. Hope they'll do fine...

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!