FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By MysticEve
I just got my adorable big mouth in the mail and it's my first vft plant so I need some advice!!

The plant was very well packaged with covering over the soil and a cover over the whole plant. I need advice on how to acclimate it!!

Should I take off the covering over the soil? Should I remove the plastic dome? - I think I should slowly remove the dome but, how long should I wait and how do I make this gradual process.

AlSO, I would like acclimation advice on a mix environment. I leave in south florida. I would like this to be an indoor plant, but there' some beautiful sun out there, so once I acclimate it to my apartment can I also take it out for some direct sun? how soon can I start doing that, and how long should I leave it outside for?

So I guess I'm looking for advice on acclimating it to my room, then acclimating it to be able to enjoy outdoors once a while.

One last question, should I water it right away? I can put water in the sauce dish but the top soil looks like there's still alot of moisture retained due to proper packaging.

Thanks in advance!
By 95slvrZ28
MysticEve wrote:Should I take off the covering over the soil? Should I remove the plastic dome?
Yes, you should remove both the covering over the soil and the dome. You don't need to do this gradually, as these items are just in place for shipping so the soil doesn't spill everywhere. Living in Florida you're going to have no concerns about humidity for the plant.
MysticEve wrote:I would like this to be an indoor plant, but there' some beautiful sun out there, so once I acclimate it to my apartment can I also take it out for some direct sun?
It's going to be best if you choose to either grow it inside or outside. Generally growing it outside is going to get you a nicer looking plant because it can get more light. The problem with trying to grow it inside and occasionally taking it outside is the fact that any new growth that comes up while it's inside isn't going to be hardened off to the UV from the outside sun. When you take it out, that growth is likely to burn.
MysticEve wrote: I'm looking for advice on acclimating it to my room
You really aren't going to need any acclimation to get the plant to grow in your room. It will be more than happy to just sit in the sunniest window in your home as soon as you remove the shipping dome!
MysticEve wrote:acclimating it to be able to enjoy outdoors
If you want to grow the plant outdoors you should let it settle in for a week or so inside, then start slowly introducing it to natural sunlight. Start with leaving it outside just in the shade for a few days, then start giving it dappled light where it's shaded by a tree, but can still get some direct light in the morning and evening, and then after a few weeks you can move it into full direct sunlight.
MysticEve wrote:should I water it right away?
As long a the soil appears to be moist (dig down with your finger a little bit to make sure it's not just the top soil) there should be no reason to water. Strive to keep the soil just most, but not saturated all the time and you'll have a happy healthy fly trap!

Good luck and happy growing!
95slvrZ28 liked this
By xr280xr
I just got some bigmouths a couple weeks ago too but mine shipped bare root. Almost all of the leaves (except a few) have now died. I suspect due to a combination of sun exposure which they had probably never had, low humidity, and a couple non-consecutive days where the soil was moist, but not moist enough. They're all growing 2-4 new leaves each now so I just wanted to let you know if your conditions are right, some of the leaves dying doesn't necessarily mean the plant is dying. I also received some babies (like the whole plant is smaller than my little finger's nail) and they're doing very well in a south eastern facing window (for now).

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!