FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bill Phoenix
does anyone know which one grows the fastest from seeds (to maturity, I mean)?
I have a sort of greenhouse room for growth through the rest of winter.
Do they need special conditions as seedlings, like consistent feeding or stratification, or can I treat them like tropical/subtropicals?
thnx for any replies :)
By Panman
I've got both started from seed, and they are growing at pretty much the same rate. They also don't require stratification but do go dormant. I'm not sure if they will need colder temperatures or not, but I am pretty sure the tracyii wouldn't. The tracyii will form a tight hibernaculum and the capillaris will retain most of it's leaves but form a loose bud.
By Panman
Missed the bit about floridana. I haven't grown that one yet. I believe that it can be treated as subtropical with no dormancy needs.
By Panman
I can't help you there. I just started them from seed a few months ago and I am growing already mature plants. I haven't had any juveniles.
By ChefDean
I have no experience with tracyii, but I have both filiformis Floridana "White Flower" and a tropical capillaris from Bertioga, Brazil. Both took a couple of months of warmer temps (~80°F) to germinate.
The filiformis grew faster, getting about six inches with its longest leaf in one season. Even though it doesn't need it, it decided to go dormant. However, the capillaris went from seed to producing seed in one season, but is only about one inch wide.
By ChefDean
Normal range is up to about 1.5 inches. In perfect conditions, some could get up to 2.5, but that would be rare.
Also, mine are are only seven months old, so they may put on a little more size. We'll see next year.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!