FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By pyroswolf1
Hello guys,I read some late posts about fertilizing sarracenia and ı saw a method that take a orchid fertilizer and mix it with water than fill the sarracenia's pitchers with mixture and results show it is effective, people using this mixture by spraying on the plants,is it dangerous can we use coffee mixture and is feeding the sarracenia with blood worms etc. or fertilizing more effective?
By riveraXVX
come this spring I will be filling our sarracenias up with 1/4th tsp to gallon (1/4 strength from instructions) Maxsea 16-16-16

some other forums and places online show growth comparisons/etc and why many people do it, I've been using maxsea in our neps, in our cephs, and on our sundew seedlings for everywhere from a month now to a few months depending on the plants in question.

some people do higher concentrations - but I figured I'd just stick with 1/4th strength for the time being -- airing on the side of minimal vs pushing things to their max both in frequency of applying and strength
By Huntsmanshorn
pyroswolf1 wrote:is it dangerous
No. If you don't overdo it.
pyroswolf1 wrote:can we use coffee mixture
You can use it if you want, it won't hurt anything but it's much less effective than fertilizer. In fact, I don't think it helps much at all but that's just me.
pyroswolf1 wrote:is feeding the sarracenia with blood worms etc. or fertilizing more effective?
Never done a side by side comparison with bloodworms but if you grow your plants outside, and they get plenty of bugs, fertilizer doesn't seem to help much.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!