FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Hakstone
Hello all,

Is it normal for the trap doing the eating to turn black. This seems to happen alot.

Thx.
By MikeB
That happens when bacteria get inside the trap during the digestion process. If the insect's leg or wing sticks out, then the trap can't make a clean seal. Also, it can happen when bacteria inside the insect multiply during digestion. The good news is that the plant still got nutrients from the insect despite the trap dying.

What kinds of insects are you feeding your plant? Some kinds just aren't good to use for food.
By Panman
I've noticed that happens when I feed large or hard bodied bugs. Spiders seem to be my plants favorite meal, even with legs sticking out everywhere.
EricF liked this
By Hugestarsfan44
Out of curiosity, how can you tell that spiders are your plants favorite meal?
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:36 pm Spiders seem to be my plants favorite meal, even with legs sticking out everywhere.
He thinks his plants speak to him, the rest of us just nod our heads and agree with him. I act like his conscience at times to keep him grounded, otherwise he'd have thousands of plants and wouldn't be able to take care of them all.
I've blocked him from this post, so he can't see me letting you in on it. Next time he says something weird, just thank him and move on.
Panman, Hugestarsfan44, Matt and 2 others liked this
By ChefDean
Hugestarsfan44 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 am Out of curiosity, how can you tell that spiders are your plants favorite meal?
I think he means that the plants derive more nutrients from spiders due to their predatory nature. They provide the plants with more nitrogen and phosphorus than flies or other prey items.
Panman, Matt liked this
By Panman
ChefDean wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:22 pm He thinks his plants speak to him, the rest of us just nod our heads and agree with him. I act like his conscience at times to keep him grounded, otherwise he'd have thousands of plants and wouldn't be able to take care of them all.
I've blocked him from this post, so he can't see me letting you in on it. Next time he says something weird, just thank him and move on.
Thanks, Dean. I about spewed tea all over my computer.
Hugestarsfan44 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:22 am Out of curiosity, how can you tell that spiders are your plants favorite meal?
This is what I mean.

And BTW, I'm not quite as insane as Dean makes me out to be. Not quite ...
ChefDean liked this
By Hugestarsfan44
Holy crap! That’s a lot of spiders! I think I’ll stick with letting mine catch flies. If they catch spiders on their own then more power to them. I’ll catch a fly and hand feed if need be, but not a spider.
By Hugestarsfan44
:shock: Granted the picture could be making them seem bigger, but WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MANY MONSTROUS SPIDERS AROUND YOUR HOUSE?!! :!: No wonder they don’t eat as many flies, the spiders have eaten them all! That honestly really cool and really creepy at the same time! One if my 4 plants has caught a fly on his own but the others I just got and we are having a bit of a crazy spring so I’m having trouble with acclimating everyone without drowning them or letting them be crushed by falling baseballs (hail). I can’t wait until I can keep them outside! We have so many flies around here, though I was hoping they might catch the few that got in the house. They haven’t yet. Oh that’s a good question though, if the plant is stressed or not properly acclimated to its environment yet, are they less likely to produce the nectar that attracts insects?
By Panman
They are grandaddy long legs spiders. A lot of leg but not much body. Every fall they seem to want to stuff themselves into my flytraps. I don't know why, and the flytraps certainly aren't complaining.
By Ewreck
So far every black ant my trap has eaten has killed the trap. I fed it a fly about a week ago that is still being digested and the trap looks ok so I’m curious if it’s gonna re open. It will be the first if it does. So far it has only caught black ants by itself.
By MaxVft
TBH,I don't even know whether or not my plant wants spiders.One time I found a black spider under a rock.I fed it,and next thing you know it grows like crazy.Another time there was a little white spider,crawling onto the plant,so I helped it into one of the traps.A week later and the trap turned black in the middle and the plant got stunted.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!