FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
I would think so, but I can't say with any certainty. Espresso is made with the same beans as coffee, it's just processed differently - beans are ground finer in espresso, and boiling water is pushed through using pressure so the flavor is more intense. I can't say if espresso would be too potent for a Nepenthes or not. I've never known anyone to try it - it'd make a great experiment to take two Neps of the same species and relative starting size and give one espresso and the other coffee, and record the results.

Definitely not latte or cappucino, since they contain milk and often additional flavorings that may harm the plant.
By BigEasy
Veronis wrote:I would think so, but I can't say with any certainty. Espresso is made with the same beans as coffee, it's just processed differently - beans are ground finer in espresso, and boiling water is pushed through using pressure so the flavor is more intense. I can't say if espresso would be too potent for a Nepenthes or not. I've never known anyone to try it - it'd make a great experiment to take two Neps of the same species and relative starting size and give one espresso and the other coffee, and record the results.

Definitely not latte or cappucino, since they contain milk and often additional flavorings that may harm the plant.
Yeah that equals calcium, etc. which is definitely bad.
By PitcherCrab
Do you need to make the coffee with distilled water?
By kittyklaws
:) that is very interesting...
By kittyklaws
lol if that's the case with caffeine and all, then why not use tea? lol it's full of antioxidants! :lol: :lol: ut I'm guessing soda's outta the quetion lol jk
By Aging_Bourbon
kittyklaws wrote:lol if that's the case with caffeine and all, then why not use tea? lol it's full of antioxidants! :lol: :lol: ut I'm guessing soda's outta the quetion lol jk
I'm guessing that will kill the plant
By Aging_Bourbon
kittyklaws wrote:yea, I wouldn't try it
I couldn't hurt to try tea, I'm sure it might. But than again.. you might lose it, than again you could alway buy another one from Flytrapcare store
By linton
Veronis wrote: Anyone here do this? How often, and what? A regular cold cup of coffee you'd otherwise drink, or diluted to x strength?
I
I can vouch for this feeding regimen - at the beginning of the season, many of my Nepenthes were very slow growing and would not pitcher. I saved the coffee from the drip tray of my espresso machine and poured it undiluted into the pots (cooled of course!) once a week for a few weeks and watered in between with ordinary rainwater. Leaf size increased 30% with new growth clearly visible within 2. 1/2 weeks. Pitcher production seemed to be stimulated and pitcher size was also increased.
linton liked this
By Xeno
I must also test this then (:
By Veronis
To make the coffee? Nah. You could...but i's not necessary for this.
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!