FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By EGROEG
If you had to choose one above all, which red Venus flytrap cultivar would be your favourite, and why?
By Wahter

I only picked up Red Burgundy earlier this year and so far, I like the coloration better than the older reds, such as Akai Ryu or Royal Red (seems more consistent). I also picked up Red Microdent and Red Sharktooth and they have nice coloring too. Also these newer reds don't grow out so "leggy" as Akai Ryu.

Pink Venus is a nice low growing cultivar, but sometimes it's finicky for some people. Both Red Piranha and FTS Crimson Sawtooth are fine too, plus all three reproduce quickly.

My Purple Haze, Clayton's Volcanic Red, and FTS Maroon Monster are still on the small size, so I can't comment on them.

Hope that helps!
Last edited by Wahter on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By King Drosophyllum VI
Wahter you said that red piranha reproduces quickly. Do you mean by division? I have one plant I got 4 years ago and have not ever gotten any divisions. The only way I have reproduced the plant was through leaf cuttings and the plants always died.
By Wahter
King Drosophyllum VI wrote:Wahter you said that red piranha reproduces quickly. Do you mean by division? I have one plant I got 4 years ago and have not ever gotten any divisions. The only way I have reproduced the plant was through leaf cuttings and the plants always died.
Yes, I typically get several divisions each year plus, the flower stalk/ stem method of propagation has worked well for me on Red Piranha too. Oddly enough, I have never had a division on my Royal Red in almost 8 years, so I've been considering doing a leaf pull on that and seeing what happens. I've had no luck doing the flower stalk/ stem method for Royal Red or Akai Ryu (Red Dragon). I do live about a two hour drive from where some Venus Flytraps are found naturally, so my conditions are close to what they find in the wild.

Hope that helps.

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!