FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
Daniel_G wrote:Nice, are you going to take them off and grow them as cuttings?
I'll probably leaving them on for a while until they start to grow roots themselves. Last year I had a flower stalk on my Sawtooth do something similar. I left it alone all winter and this summer to see what would happen. Interestingly, they rhizome on the plant suspended in the air grew all the way down to the soil level and took root on its own!
knights wrote:so do you know what will happen when the flower stalk starts to die? will the traps somehow stay? or will they also die off?
I don't know for sure. The only experience I have with this is from the Sawtooth flower stalk from last year which is still alive even though it started forming in March 2010. It's still very green and the plants on it are still alive.
stitz25b wrote:do th traps work matt?
I haven't tried them yet, so I don't know for sure, but they sure look functional. I'm going to try feeding one of them soon though.
stitz25b wrote:are u going to root them\?
Probably, but not for a while. I'm going to play with them for a bit :)
Shes Crofty wrote:aIs it bad to hope that happens to me one day?
Nope, not at all! I've been waiting for it to happen on a full flower stalk for a while now :)
By ThomasL
Hello Matt

Cool False vivipary. The smallplant are flowering. I never see that before.
I can add some Experience from my False vivipary from last year. The small plants are go to grow down and if they touch the soil makes roots. Like you even told Matt.
In my Case the planst wich arrived the soil before winter survive and grow well, the others wich don't arrive the soil before cold Temperatures comes are dead.
So i hope it helps.

Bye Thomas
ThomasL liked this
By Gry
amazing plant, right there!
By sbrooks
That is amazing! I've never seen one that well developed.
How long has the stalk itself been growing?
By Audrey-2
About 6 weeks of growth. Here is a picture from 4 1/2 weeks ago. I can always tell when a flower stalk will do this because it grows thicker than typical for the size of the plant.
Attachments:
20180303_174107.jpg
20180303_174107.jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 5182 times
By Big-Jack
Audrey-2 wrote:My B52 is showing false vivipary after growing under a T5 HO fluorescent light for about a year.
That is the coolest thing ever. A VFT tree. :lol:
By FlyTrap Hunter
Audrey-2 wrote:I'm half way tempted to just let it grow. Who knows, maybe the plantlets on stalk will shoot up their own flower stalk! Lol
What are you feeding her? Has she seen a fertility doctor?

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By Audrey-2
I haven't fed my plants since November. I used to feed a few traps dried blood worms once a week. What seems to be working the best for growth and developing flower stalks is growing under T5 HO fluorescent lights. After about a year, the plants seem to favor false vivipary instead of normal flower stalk growth.
By elaineo
I was looking up false vivipary, and apparently it happens with other plants too. For example, this tomato has tomato seedlings growing out of it (seeds spontaneously sprouted inside). It reminds me of that Aliens movie. Well, enjoy!
nqdinv2rc1h21.jpeg
nqdinv2rc1h21.jpeg (47.53 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Ewreck, IoanAdam, ChefDean liked this
By xr280xr
I think that is just known as vivipary where false vivipary lacks any seeds and takes the place of a flower. Not 100% sure on that.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!