FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Benny
I have a question for you guys:
Any of you had a flytrap that consistently made 7 trigger hairs (3 on the upper lip, and 4 on the lower). Will this affect my plants trapping ability's due to it being too sensitive? Because if it does, then I don't want to propagate it.
By sanguinearocks101
I know that there are some cultivars that have a variety in the amount of trigger hairs they produce but I've never heard of any that consistently produce 7. I think that would only change how easy it is to close the trap, with more trigger hairs there are more to stimulate and the more to stimulate the easier it is to touch them and close the trap. I don't think it would be bad for the plant, it might even be beneficial! It really depends on how many non-prey items stimulate the hairs. I would still propagate it, you might be able to name your own vft cultivar!
Benny liked this
By Copper2
Benny wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:40 pm I have a question for you guys:
Any of you had a flytrap that consistently made 7 trigger hairs (3 on the upper lip, and 4 on the lower). Will this affect my plants trapping ability's due to it being too sensitive? Because if it does, then I don't want to propagate it.
Alien has multiple trigger hairs. Doesn’t stop anyone from propagating it
Benny liked this
By Benny
Thanks guys! I only noticed the past 4 traps that had it. Will keep an eye on it.
By Benny
The weird thing is the plant next to it has no trigger hairs on the past 2 traps. It probably is only temporary because it is still recovering from a large amount of stress I put it through. I discovered this when I fed it a live mealworm, only to discover the insect got away. The trap opened the next day. Stupid mealworm is now loose in my room :| ...

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!