FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Amesketches
So I just got my first venus fly trap a few weeks ago. I noticed that a lot of my fly traps are turning black really quickly, usually starting at the teeth. I snip off the fly trap once the blackness reaches the root. I also noticed that new baby fly traps are growing, but the thing is that they are all dying! The baby fly traps only get probably a centimeter or two and then they turn black. Is this normal? It isn't dormancy season..
I live in an area that gets around 21 degrees Celsius in the summer on the high, and I put my flytrap on a windowsill. I used sphagnum peat moss for the soil and water him with cooled down boiled water every other day. I don't believe my fly traps have caught anything yet? I don't really take my fly trap outside much.
Does anybody know why this is happening, or if it is normal? I tried finding an answer, but it always says that its normal for fly traps to turn black, because a new plant should always replace it. But my new plant always dies!
If you need any pictures, ask, I hope i'm just being an uneducated paranoid plant owner haha.
By carelerasmus
Hey can we see images please? They always help with diagnosis! But now I'm wondering, what do you mean with cooled down boiled water? Is it tap water that you boiled?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By Fieldofscreams
Rain, distilled or RO water only.

Boiling water just makes it end up with a higher TDS.

Sounds like you are over watering, especially if it's inside. Mine are strictly outside and I don't water anywhere near that much. Back when my new traps that hadn't even formed yet started turning black I found it was because the plants where being kept too wet.

Need to see some pics.
Last edited by Fieldofscreams on Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By carelerasmus
Fieldofscreams wrote:Rain, distilled or RO water only.

Boiling water just makes it end up with a higher TDS.

Need to see some pics.
I agree, If you just boil normal tap water, and use that with your flytraps, they WILL die a quick death!

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By Kwient
Boiling tapwater will evaporate the water and the minerals will stay. So you are making water with even higher concentration of minerals and thats......Bad :(
Rain, distilled or demineralised water only and no need to boil any :)
By Amesketches
Ahh thank you this is my first trap and all these sites on taking care of fly traps are all so different and I don't know what to trust. Do you think putting this trap outside would help it? Also if it rains, what should I do.
By Mikedaman34
I'm no expert but if you move them to direct sunlight outside start with only an hour or two and slowly add more time each day.

My main recommendation would be to get some Distilled water and new media since the existing soil/moss was exposed to regular tap water. Once that is taken care of you can move on to figuring out what you want to do for outdoor lighting.

Just my two cents :)
Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!