FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By BTRanchley
Afternoon everyone, I'm new here and trying to do my research before purchasing a flytrap. I've been combing the forums for a while but couldn't find anything specifically referencing the effects of elevation on the plants. My residence is above 10,000 feet and it gets very cold here, so I was concerned about the effect this would have on the plants.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Panman liked this
By optique
you might get more answers giving day/night temps
By ChefDean
I only see one thing that might be an issue, humidity. Flytraps don't need as much as some of the other carnivorous plants, but they like it to be over 50% at least.
Having lived in the Rockies myself, I know that the higher up, the thinner the air, and lower the humidity. This can be somewhat overcome by having the pot in a tray of water to make the humidity higher right at the plant, but I don't know if it could be elevated enough for long term plant happiness.
The other things, sunlight, low mineral water, zero nutrient media, bugs, etc. can all be found everywhere.
Being that high up, Winter will last a little longer, so you'll have to find a home for the plant for a longer dormancy, perhaps a chilly part of your basement. Leaving it outside in Winter at 10,000 feet will certainly kill it.
By Adelae
I don't really know how high elevation itself affects plants, so maybe someone else can weigh in better...but I'd guess it's a combination of colder temperatures, drier air, and more intense sun. So if you have plants outdoors you'd want to keep an eye on them in the summer to make sure they don't dry out, and look into fridge dormancy if you have something that needs dormancy but can't handle the outdoor temps in winter.

I think an indoor plant should probably be fine? Seems like if there's enough oxygen for a human, there's probably enough carbon dioxide for a plant...right?
By Matt
Elevation will present no problems at all other than increasing the likelihood of sunburn when hardening off plants and having to deal with a little more cold than others might. Both are easy to address.
ChefDean wrote:Flytraps don't need as much as some of the other carnivorous plants, but they like it to be over 50% at least.
Good point Dean. But they can handle very low humidity as well. They just don't do well when its below 50%. Our humidity is rarely above 30% here in the summer months and our plants do fine, just not amazing.
ChefDean liked this
By EricSg
The elevation is probably a good thing.
Most of the VFT in Singapore where I am comes from Cameron Highlands in Malaysia where the elevation is up to 5000 feet.

The intense light and lower temperatures seem to be ideal.

The VFTs look great when they arrive in Singapore and most look pretty sad after that with the new sea level and warmer tropical environment.
By Panman
Matt wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:27 pm Our humidity is rarely above 30% here in the summer months and our plants do fine, just not amazing.
Rarely above 30%? We're rarely below 70% during the summer. You can walk outside and cut yourself a slice of air.
MikeB liked this
By Matt
Panman wrote:Rarely above 30%? We're rarely below 70% during the summer. You can walk outside and cut yourself a slice of air.
Ugh. Sounds oppressive! The low humidity and lack of insects is one of the major reasons Leah and I love living here. However, the plants would prefer some humidity and some food!!
Panman liked this
By MikeB
In the flytrap's home range, stepping outside during the summer feels like someone tossed a wet blanket over your head and threw you into a sauna.
Apollyon, Matt liked this
By Matt
MikeB wrote:In the flytrap's home range, stepping outside during the summer feels like someone tossed a wet blanket over your head and threw you into a sauna.
Yep, been there in July before. Ridiculously uncomfortable for humans but the plants like it! I wish that the weather here were better for growing CPs but we do love living here so the plants will have to deal with it....and they deal with it pretty well :D
MikeB liked this
Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!