FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss fertilization techniques here. For advanced growers only!

Moderator: Matt

By Aging_Bourbon
Okay, about a few weeks ago. I can't really recall when I was Packing some cigarettes. When Curiosity kicked in I just dropped in a few tobacco leaf's into the pitcher. An Now that a few weeks have passed I notice that the new pitcher is much bigger than the other growth. But at the same time the pitcher that "ate" the tobacco started too die. I'm not really sure if this is right or if it's just by coincidence. But I'm gonna test this further more too see the results.

Below is a picture of the Pitcher. Notice the growth increase.
By watnazn
You can test it, but I think the pitcher is just bigger because, well, the plant is getting older. Ventrata grows fast.
By tc3driver
I honestly think that would do more harm than good, as these plants are designed to digest a protein rich bug, converting that protein into a nitrogen rich soup, if you will, that the plant uses as fertilizer.

Ring around the Rosie, had little to do with tobacco :P
By snapperhead51
Allenc .
Sorry but you way off there ,your tobacco will certainly increase the quicker death of that pitcher just with is chemical content alone , unfortunately nepenthes dont smoke or eat any vegetable matter ,so the question of it benefiting the next growth is well ant going to happen !!, your N.ventrata next pitcher is just a natural increase in pitcher size until the upper pitchers start to appear where they will decrease in size shape and colour :mrgreen:
by the way they look good to ,that next pitcher is a very healthy one :)
By carnivorous1123
isnt there one nepenthes that eats mostly only plant/vegetable matter i think its called n.ampullaria look it up ;)
By carnivorous1123
"N. ampullaria has largely moved away from carnivory and acquires a substantial portion of its nutrients from digesting leaf matter that falls to the forest floor" wikipedia. maybe if you gave that tobbaco it will grow very large and turn into a mutant plant which devours people...!! :P
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!