FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Trapper Kay
Ya I was out of town near Blythe so only felt the second one, but was worried about my plants falling off the shelves. Luckily i live in la so we didn’t get it too bad here
By Artchic528
What was the Richter scale reading on it? I live on the east coast so I'm well removed from that seismic area.
By oval
Trapper Kay wrote:First earthquake was 6.3M and the second was 7.1M with over 35,000 aftershocks some of which were over 3.0M
35,000 - Wow!
By Trapper Kay
oval wrote:
Trapper Kay wrote:First earthquake was 6.3M and the second was 7.1M with over 35,000 aftershocks some of which were over 3.0M
35,000 - Wow!
Yep, we Californians are use to it. Northridge isn’t too far from me and in 1994 it was a massive quake I believe was 6.7M that collapsed freeways and destroyed buildings and houses
By Artchic528
Trapper Kay wrote:
oval wrote:
35,000 - Wow!
Yep, we Californians are use to it. Northridge isn’t too far from me and in 1994 it was a massive quake I believe was 6.7M that collapsed freeways and destroyed buildings and houses
I've seen the footage of that interstate collapsed onto the interstate below. Those poor people in the unfortunate cars right there met their end by being sandwiched by concrete and rebar. I can't imagine how horrific it must have been for rescuers and clean up crews to recover those bodies.....

I've also seen footage of the 1989 one that happened during a MLB World Series game. It was actually filmed by the cameras covering the game. Talk about your seventh inning stretch!

Still, earthquakes must be scary to live through. The most seismic activity I've ever felt was one afternoon when the ground itself seem to growl or belch and rumble for a couple of seconds. No damage happened though. My dad was coming through the door and asked me what that was and I said I had no clue. It was all kind of weird.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
Trapper Kay wrote:Yep, they are ok until they’re not, if you know what I mean. We just got hit again this morning by a 4.9M
Sounds like hurricanes. They are okay until they are not. A cat 1 hurricane has only 73mph of consistent winds. They do little damage, especially since most structures have been upgraded to withstand strong hurricane winds.
I am sure the homes and infrastructure has been redesigned and rebuilt to handle the quakes.
But still... I don't think I want to deal with falling bridges or falling glass.
By Artchic528
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
Trapper Kay wrote:Yep, they are ok until they’re not, if you know what I mean. We just got hit again this morning by a 4.9M
Sounds like hurricanes. They are okay until they are not. A cat 1 hurricane has only 73mph of consistent winds. They do little damage, especially since most structures have been upgraded to withstand strong hurricane winds.
I am sure the homes and infrastructure has been redesigned and rebuilt to handle the quakes.
But still... I don't think I want to deal with falling bridges or falling glass.
I'm glad I live enough of the ways inland from the ocean that most hurricanes die down to a rainstorm with a stiff wind by the time they reach me. Sometimes there is just the stiff wind, no rain. Of course, that hasn't always been the case. Before I moved here, a whopper of a hurricane had just struck, Andrew I believe, and left the city devastated.

Ever since then, everyone who lived through that storm and the resulting recovery period has been scared enough to always stock up and be prepared for anything whenever so much as a word is uttered about winter weather or an approaching hurricane. You just never know.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!