FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fuggle
Hi, I have a Nepenthes X Ventrata (Monkey Cup) which I fed Osmocote Pro Slow Release Fertiliser granules. They seem to be doing fine with it but unfortunately the biggest pitcher has gone black. My question is, do I cut off the dying pitcher or leave it to dry out and fall off on its own accord?

Many thanks. :D
IMG_20201201_161908.jpg
IMG_20201201_161908.jpg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 3200 times
By Nepenthes0260
I usually only chop off my nep pitchers when they're fully black. The part below the nep "waist" is where all the digestion occurs, so if only the peristome, lid and upper half of the pitcher have browned the plant is still digesting. Some theorize that Nepenthes effectively "turn of" their pitchers when they've had enough by browning the upper half but still leaving the bottom half alive to digest. Since the upper half is dead it doesn't produce sugars and isn't slippery, so can still digest its current meal but doesn't trap any more.
By Fuggle
Thanks for this advice mate. Mine is now completely black but still moist (not dried out). Does it harm the rest of the plant if I leave it do dry out and fall off? And, if I decide to cut it off, do I cut it where the stem joins the pitcher or where the stem joins the leaf? :?:
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Apollyon
Nepenthes0260 wrote:I usually only chop off my nep pitchers when they're fully black. The part below the nep "waist" is where all the digestion occurs, so if only the peristome, lid and upper half of the pitcher have browned the plant is still digesting. Some theorize that Nepenthes effectively "turn of" their pitchers when they've had enough by browning the upper half but still leaving the bottom half alive to digest. Since the upper half is dead it doesn't produce sugars and isn't slippery, so can still digest its current meal but doesn't trap any more.
Nice, I learned something new today. Wonder if there is some kind of threshold mechanism like a flytrap. Seems like indoor pitchers tend to last longer for me but there are definitely other variables. Never knew it still digested while it was dying back though like that. Cool stuff.

@Fuggle, Rule of thumb with CPs is you can remove the black from the plant. Cut the pitcher off and leave the leaf for photosynthesis. Remove the leaf when it is dead. Out of curiosity though, how many pellets are you putting into the pitchers?
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Fuggle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pm Thanks for this advice mate. Mine is now completely black but still moist (not dried out). Does it harm the rest of the plant if I leave it do dry out and fall off? And, if I decide to cut it off, do I cut it where the stem joins the pitcher or where the stem joins the leaf? :?:
I cut them right where the tendril attaches to the “leaf” (in actuality it’s a flattened sort of petiole for photosynthesizing). No, old dead pitchers don’t harm the plant in the slightest. Neps are just pruned to make them look more appealing in cultivation lol.
Fuggle liked this
By Fuggle
Apollyon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:24 pm@Fuggle, Rule of thumb with CPs is you can remove the black from the plant. Cut the pitcher off and leave the leaf for photosynthesis. Remove the leaf when it is dead. Out of curiosity though, how many pellets are you putting into the pitchers?
Hi Apollyon. I put one in each of the pitchers but 2 in the biggest one. The biggest one is the one that turned black, so I guess I'll be using 1 in each from now on. I have one other that is browning too but the others seem to be fine.
By Fuggle
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:11 pm
Fuggle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pmI cut them right where the tendril attaches to the “leaf” (in actuality it’s a flattened sort of petiole for photosynthesizing). No, old dead pitchers don’t harm the plant in the slightest. Neps are just pruned to make them look more appealing in cultivation lol.
This is all great advice and greatly appreciated, thank you Nepenthes. Another question if I may (sorry to bombard you like this!). Is there any benefit to the plant by leaving the dying pitcher to dry out and fall off on its own?
By Nepenthes0260
Some older specimens so you can see what they grow up to be
Fuggle wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:11 pm
Fuggle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pmI cut them right where the tendril attaches to the “leaf” (in actuality it’s a flattened sort of petiole for photosynthesizing). No, old dead pitchers don’t harm the plant in the slightest. Neps are just pruned to make them look more appealing in cultivation lol.
This is all great advice and greatly appreciated, thank you Nepenthes. Another question if I may (sorry to bombard you like this!). Is there any benefit to the plant by leaving the dying pitcher to dry out and fall off on its own?
No problem! I don't think there's any benefit to it. When the pitcher is fully blackened it's not taking in nutrients any more so wouldn't hurt just to chop it. Also, nep tendrils are pretty strong, so even if it's dead the pitcher probably won't fall off lol.
Fuggle liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!