I up-potted my little Drosophyllum today. They’re a little on the small side for it, but I’m on spring break and only really have this time to do it.
They all went into 3 gallon pots (~10”). As an experiment, I put one into one of those grow bags. I’ve read theories that part of the reason transplanting is hard on them is roots break because they stick to the pot — a grow bag would not have that issue, so it’ll be neat to see if I can transplant out of one. Unfortunately, that peat pot had degraded enough that it kinda split as I removed the bottom and there was some disturbance of the soil. I hope that didn’t kill the little guy!
When I tore out the peat pot bottoms, I did notice some root tips, so they might not be too small after all.
Here they are after:
The medium is a mix of bark, lava sand, expanded shale, and perlite in a 1:1:1:1 ratio. There’s also a handful of peat and LFS in there — I would’ve used peat as my organic water-retentive component, but I didn’t have enough.
I think that little double sprout will look great in the blue pot once it grows up. I’d put two seeds in each peat pot, and in that one, they both came up.