FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
So I was a little late on changing my photoperiod on my light fixtures this year and honestly I wrote the plant off. I got it in summer, planted it and had it sitting for months. Kept it in the water tray around fall and I want to say about a week or 2 after I dropped the photoperiod to 10 hours the plant emerged from the soil, definitely surprised.

My question has to do with the tubers state. It currently looks to be forming its leaf structure however it's been in this "bulbous" state and has not unfurled itself for over a week now. Appearance-wise, nothing has really changed. It's green so I'm sure its alive but considering the late bloom I'm a little concerned about and if it is waiting for some different variable I'm not accounting for. Temps are running around 70ish and the water level is about 1-1.5inches in a gallon nursery pot. Have it about 7-8 inches below a yescom panel. I wouldn't think it'd need more intense lighting but I honestly don't know. Does anyone have experience with this plant or general tuber knowledge that can tell me if it's something to be concerned about or does it just take a couple weeks to develop before it lays out its leaves? Thanks!
By Nepenthes0260
How large was the tuber? Squamosa has a pretty large blooming size and I wouldn't expect it to bloom its first year in its pot. My squamosa was in that unfurling leaf phase for a week or two before it finally opened up. So I'd keep watching it, and if the leaves ever open would feed it. A pic would help, but it sounds normal to me.
By Apollyon
Ah sorry I was using bloom more descriptively. Honestly don't know what you'd call a tuber coming back. That said though the tuber was decent size when I got it, had what looked to be a daughter tuber (which broke off sadly)conjoined to it. Here's the plant
Attachments:
20210125_102840.jpg
20210125_102840.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2437 times
By nimbulan
While your plant is emerging quite late, it's normal for the rosette to take several weeks to develop and unfurl. It looks healthy, just be patient and I'd recommend feeding it once you have some dew on the leaves.
By Nepenthes0260
I get it lol, it is a difficult species to get to bloom I’ve heard.

Yeah, looks normal to me. I’d just wait, guessing in a week or so it will have developed a nice sticky rosette
Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!