FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Tyrael
Hello,

I am trying to find answers to my questions :), sorry for the English it's not my native language.
So let's start with my concern (don't know in fact if it is really a problem...).

I have created four month ago a "mini terrarium" for four Drosera Prolifera (bought from the same place): 90% of blond peat and 10% of sand, 10W lighting (9-10h per day), temperature is approximately 22-23°C.

Everything was doing well until one month when two plants began to turn red and their leaves have fallen off (picture below is more talking).

So my question: is it normal? is there a problem with the environment? as they changed color, I thougt it could be a lighting error (too strong? too much?).

The two other plant are actually "normal".

If you have any idea that could help, that would be great.

Thank you in advance.
By sanguinearocks101
The media you are using is not the best, but it works. I would suggest a 50/50 mix, not a 90/10 mix. They look like they have flowered recently, flowering takes a lot of energy out of the plant so if those two flowered and the other two didn't that could be an explanation. I would feed them, either with bugs or fish food. Does the terrarium have drainage holes?
By Tyrael
Thank you for your anwser.
They are all flowering a lot. Do you suggest I should cut the flowers for these two plant?
Regarding the drainage no, there is not. I am just controlling all time it's wet enough, but not too much ...
By sanguinearocks101
I would try to somehow get drainage, whether you drill a hole in the bottom, or somehow use a tube or something to see the water level and adjust it from there. I would cut off all the flowers from the two plants that are doing badly. Don't let the flower stalk go to waste though, stick it in the media and a new plant will grow from it.
By Tyrael
If you have a look at my first picture, you'll see a white tube in the left corner of the terrarium. I am using it to ajust the level. Should the media be really wet? I mean a high level of water?
I will cu tthe flowers.

Again thank you for your help :)
Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!