FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Xeno
Hi all!

I am soon getting some Drosera going in TC. what is a good multiplication media for Drosera?, sphatulata, aliciae, falconeri etc.
And for the "rosseted" drosera like many are is it possible to split them in half to get more tissue to multiply etc ?
By goldslinger
From what I understand,

What's good for the Goose, is good for the Gander.

Drosera and VFT'S are so closely related, supposedly, that what works for One works equally for the other. I have both on the same media.

Gary
By Xeno
hehe a nice mystery answear but can Drosera handle 4-5ml/Liter Kinetin?
By goldslinger
Xeno wrote:hehe a nice mystery answear but can Drosera handle 4-5ml/Liter Kinetin?
When I went above 1ml/liter Kinetin on My capensis, they calloused up a bunch; grew big balls everywhere and got really deformed. But they are still alive, just look real weird. It's like they have potatoes growing out of them.

At that level, wouldn't VFT'S almost have the same result? Why so souped up?

Gary
By ahicks51
goldslinger wrote:
Xeno wrote:hehe a nice mystery answear but can Drosera handle 4-5ml/Liter Kinetin?
When I went above 1ml/liter Kinetin on My capensis, they calloused up a bunch; grew big balls everywhere and got really deformed. But they are still alive, just look real weird. It's like they have potatoes growing out of them.

At that level, wouldn't VFT'S almost have the same result? Why so souped up?

Gary
Well, heck. With plants, you can have two different cultivars respond with dramatic differences to hormones. While Drosera and Dionaea may be fairly closely related, their response to hormone concentration could still be pretty whack.
By Matt
Drosera, like Dionaea, seem to multiply beyond what a hobby TCer can handle on plain 50% MS. I wouldn't go over 0.5ml/L of Kinetin because, as Gary said, they seem to callus up like crazy with just a bit of cytokinin in the media.
By nepaholic
Micke, i use for all drosera 20%ms. This work Great for tropical and highland droseras
for multiplication I use 1mg nap 1mg naa
kinetin is not good for multiplications. You want to use kinetin for shooting after multiplication stage.

Guys I was long time away from here. Had so mich to do with all and started my business.
I wish when I started there was a forum like this. Beginners have it so much easier and make scientific to hobby
Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!