FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By FutureFlytrapV2
Posts:  37
Joined:  Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 pm
#311933
Out of curiosity, what is the current status of Drosera magnifica? I heard that the people involved put out a rumor that the seeds wouldn't germinate so people would stop asking questions. Just wondering :3
By Leathal_Traps
Posts:  1310
Joined:  Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:27 am
#311934
It's definitely in cultivation, a lot of people already have it growing both in and out of vitro
By FutureFlytrapV2
Posts:  37
Joined:  Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 pm
#311935
Leathal_Traps wrote:It's definitely in cultivation, a lot of people already have it growing both in and out of vitro
Interesting.
User avatar
By nimbulan
Posts:  2074
Joined:  Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:03 pm
#311937
A lot of experienced growers have it, and at least 2 nurseries. I'd be surprised if it doesn't show up for sale sometime this year.
nimbulan liked this
By FutureFlytrapV2
Posts:  37
Joined:  Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 pm
#311974
nimbulan wrote:A lot of experienced growers have it, and at least 2 nurseries. I'd be surprised if it doesn't show up for sale sometime this year.
Do people just keep it a secret then? I didn't hear anything about this and I've been following this since 2015.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Posts:  1725
Joined:  Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:00 pm
#311976
I know a couple of people that have it. Like nimbulan said, it should be available soon. Patience grasshopper. :ugeek:
By FutureFlytrapV2
Posts:  37
Joined:  Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 pm
#311977
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:I know a couple of people that have it. Like nimbulan said, it should be available soon. Patience grasshopper. :ugeek:
I don't intend on growing it, but it seems like it was deliberately kept quiet.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Posts:  1725
Joined:  Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:00 pm
#311979
Not really. I’ve seen a few posts on Facebook of growers showing them off. You just have to know where to look.
By FutureFlytrapV2
Posts:  37
Joined:  Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:41 pm
#311980
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:Not really. I’ve seen a few posts on Facebook of growers showing them off. You just have to know where to look.
Well, a quick facebook search shows me you're right. There are a bunch of pictures of it in tissue culture. As a daily dose of 'lol', I also saw a post by someone who bought "drosera magnifica" seeds from a guy on ebay, and he posted a picture of the seedlings on facebook only to find out they were only tokaiensis :3
FutureFlytrapV2 liked this

Last year I planted about 32 Proboscidea parviflor[…]

I don't have a problem with mice, but for other […]

it should get used to it overtime, though most peo[…]

VFTs In flowering, when to plant the Seed?

Aside from what some sources will say, Venus Flytr[…]

Trade

Apologies for the acronyms. In the CP forum we may[…]

Museum Project

Hi, I've got a terrarium going to help educate Gra[…]

if you could post a picture that would be very hel[…]

what a beautiful garden! if I could only have one […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!