FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By petmantis
Hello everyone,

I might be getting a D. linearis originating from an alkaline Quebec fen, and even though I've scoured the internet for tips on this, the only tips I've gotten were from the grower who's sending me the plant. Since he provided me with guidelines, I'd like to get a few more tips from the members here so I can get a better idea of how to care for this plant...it seems a bit finicky.

If any of you have successfully grown D. linearis, especially the alkaline-loving kind, I'd appreciate any tips you could give!

Here are the questions I asked before, any help is welcome! http://ocps.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa ... hread=3211

Happy growing!

-Pet
By watnazn
Let me just say I have no experience with this plant, but I find it really interesting. But I am reading The Savage garden, so if you don't have it, this is some info he gives.

It needs a cold winter, he left the plant six to seven months in the refrigerator. And the media used was one part sand and one part vermiculite, but its said they can live in acidic peat soils. He said he only had limited success. I don't know what you are going to do, I would honestly listen to the grower if he has kept the plant alive and grows it well. What did he say to use for a media?

Well I hope you have good luck with it, and maybe you can become the pro at growing it.

Good luck.
By petmantis
I got the plants (2 or 3 hybernaculums...) a couple days ago, and they seem alive for now. After reading a bit about winter care for this plant on a bunch of different forums, it apparently has the tendency to rot during its unbelievably long dormancy...so some growers just plop them in water and throw them in the freezer. I did the same with mine. I'll give updates if anyone would care for some. I'm really hoping these will survive, considering they're 2 of the few known specimens from this location (lol, the pressure is pretty big), so wish me luck!
Last edited by petmantis on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!